Black body radiation -- Spherical shell surrounding a star

In summary, the problem is not correctly solved because at equilibrium the temperature of the shell is not the temperature of the star.
Eitan Levy
Homework Statement
A spherical shell with a radius of R surrounds a star with temperature T.

Find the amount of energy that the shell from the star in an hour.
Relevant Equations
[tex] P=\sigma*A*T^4 [/tex]
I don't understand how this can be solved.

The official solution was:

[tex] F=\sigma*T^4 [/tex]

[tex] E=F*4\pi R^2*60*60 [/tex]

This doesn't make sense to me, as it seems to imply that the energy that the black body radiates depends on the radius of the shell. For a very large shell the body will reflect "infinity" energy.

Can someone please explain this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a body emits a total of 100 Joules per second and you enclose it completely with a shell, 100 Joules per second will pass through the entire shell no matter how large the shell is.

Likes Eitan Levy
kuruman said:
If a body emits a total of 100 Joules per second and you enclose it completely with a shell, 100 Joules per second will pass through the entire shell no matter how large the shell is.

That's what I figured! Is the solution wrong?

You should previously know the star's radius.

Likes hmmm27
Gordianus said:
You should previously know the star's radius.
The radius R of the surrounding shell is given. That ought to be enough.

• Skeptical
Likes hmmm27
But at equilibrium the temperature of the shell is not the temperature of the star. That is the point and the OP is correct.

hutchphd said:
But at equilibrium the temperature of the shell is not the temperature of the star. That is the point and the OP is correct.
True, but there is no mention of equilibrium in the statement of the problem. My interpretation is that the shell is something like a Gaussian surface and not a material object.

Gaussian surfaces do not radiate. The ##\sigma T^4## is for the surface that radiates and is emitted power per area. You are making the same mistake as the Prof I fear.

Likes kuruman
Perhaps the homework has a wording problem. I think the sphere of radius R is a sort of Gaussian surface that encloses the star (that radiates to the 2.7 K background). Thus, we should know the star's radius (call it a)

Likes hutchphd
You need to know the the temperature of some physical object of known radius. The problem as stated is not correctly solved.
No hand waving required. As pointed out astutely by the OP this leads to infinite power Dyson spheres.

hutchphd said:
Gaussian surfaces do not radiate. The ##\sigma T^4## is for the surface that radiates and is emitted power per area. You are making the same mistake as the Prof I fear.
You fear correctly. Goes to show that I shouldn't be trying to do problems in my head.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an idealized object, known as a black body, that absorbs all radiation incident upon it. This radiation is a result of the thermal energy of the object's particles and is emitted at a specific wavelength and intensity based on the temperature of the object.

2. How does a spherical shell surrounding a star affect black body radiation?

A spherical shell surrounding a star can affect black body radiation in two ways. First, it can act as a reflector, reflecting some of the radiation back towards the star. Second, it can absorb some of the radiation and re-emit it at a different wavelength, known as re-radiation.

3. What is the significance of black body radiation in astronomy?

Black body radiation is significant in astronomy because it allows scientists to determine the temperature of celestial objects, such as stars, based on the wavelength and intensity of the radiation they emit. This information can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of these objects.

4. How does the temperature of a star affect its black body radiation?

The temperature of a star directly affects its black body radiation. As the temperature of a star increases, the peak wavelength of its radiation shifts to shorter, more energetic wavelengths. This means that hotter stars emit more high-energy radiation, while cooler stars emit more low-energy radiation.

5. Can black body radiation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, black body radiation can be observed in everyday life. For example, the red glow of a hot metal object, such as a stove burner, is a result of black body radiation. Similarly, the warm glow of an incandescent light bulb is also a form of black body radiation.