Black holes bend light the wrong way

In summary, the article discusses the negative refraction phenomenon that has been observed in materials. They suggest that it could happen here on Earth, so it must. However, the usefulness of the effect is questioned due to its limited relevance.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I read it but I am an amature, can U explain it in 100 words please.

It doesn't really explain what happens, it merely comments on the effect: under very specific circumstances rotating black holes can bend light away from themselves, instead of towards themselves.

They then go on to suggest that this is messing up all our previous observations.

But personally, I think they've got the scientific method backwards, at least the way the article is laid out.

"...researchers showed that certain artificial materials bend light in the opposite direction..."

"...prompted a flurry of research ... understanding and developing negative refracting materials..."

"...demonstrated that negative refraction could occur in a vacuum ... identified something that meets these requirements: a rotating black hole..."

They've encountered the phenomenon in materials, they look for other places where the phenomenon mgiht happen. It could happen here, so it must.

And is further weakened by its usefullness:

"some researchers question how much influence the effect will have in practice. ... in doubt as to the astronomical relevance ... the effect will be limited to small regions of space, as it can only occur in regions where the gravitational field is extremely strong.

I have googled the net but i can not find anything related to
negative refraction, maybe i am not looking in the right places
but the author of this paper is not very forthcoming.

wolram said:
I have googled the net but i can not find anything related to
negative refraction, maybe i am not looking in the right places
but the author of this paper is not very forthcoming.
One way to search for recent papers is to use citebase search - here:

http://citebase.eprints.org/cgi-bin/search

I keep that bookmarked in my browser. Just punch in the author(s) name and have the search sorted by date. That yielded this paper:

http://citebase.eprints.org/cgi-bin/citations?id=oai%3AarXiv%2Eorg%3Aastro%2Dph%2F0501522

You can also search by title, keyword, etc, and sort the results in all kinds of useful ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip Turbo
Im not sure if this anomaly has any relevance, even if it exists,
being confined to the event horizon of a rotating BH, it may screw
up some observations if anything.

Are there any images that show what is the right way and what is the wrong way Please ?

Related to Black holes bend light the wrong way

1. How do black holes bend light?

Black holes have an incredibly strong gravitational pull that can bend the path of light. This is known as gravitational lensing and is caused by the distortion of spacetime around the black hole.

2. Why is it called "bending light the wrong way"?

This phrase refers to the fact that black holes can bend light in a way that is counterintuitive to our understanding of how light travels in straight lines. Instead, the light is bent and can even circle around the black hole multiple times before escaping.

3. How does this phenomenon affect our perception of light?

Black holes can warp the path of light to such an extent that objects behind the black hole can appear distorted or even duplicated. This can make it difficult for scientists to accurately observe and study objects near black holes.

4. Can black holes also bend other forms of radiation?

Yes, black holes can also bend other forms of electromagnetic radiation such as X-rays and radio waves. This allows scientists to use these forms of radiation to study black holes and their surroundings.

5. Is the bending of light the only way that black holes affect their surroundings?

No, black holes can also have a gravitational effect on nearby objects, causing them to be pulled towards the black hole. This is known as tidal forces and can have a significant impact on the structure of galaxies and other celestial bodies.