Black Holes: Can Anything Reduce Their Size?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reducing the size of a black hole or accelerating its evaporation through a man-made process. It is mentioned that currently, black holes are governed by general relativity and the quantum mechanical effect of Hawking radiation is seen as an anomaly. However, with a theory of quantum gravity, the behavior of black holes may change. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a stimulated evaporation process to prevent a potential collision with a black hole and the potential dangers of a rogue star.
elusiveshame
I'm pretty sure I know the responses I'm going to get, as this question is pretty silly, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there anything - a process, or a material, that would reduce the size of a black hole and/or evaporate it away quickly, or is that just hocus pocus thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
elusiveshame said:
Is there any other way that could happen by a man-made approach that would accelerate the evaporation?
I don't think that's a silly question at all! I suspect that the answer is no. But, the idea of some sort of stimulated evaporation is a lot more plausible than some of the really silly questions we get.

That said, currently black holes are governed theoretically by GR, with the QM effect of Hawking radiation being something of an anomaly. If and when we have a theory of quantum gravity, then the possibilities for how a black hole behaves may change.

Likes elusiveshame
PeroK said:
I don't think that's a silly question at all! I suspect that the answer is no. But, the idea of some sort of stimulated evaporation is a lot more plausible than some of the really silly questions we get.

That said, currently black holes are governed theoretically by GR, with the QM effect of Hawking radiation being something of an anomaly. If and when we have a theory of quantum gravity, then the possibilities for how a black hole behaves may change.

Thanks for the answer. That's what I figured the likely answer would be: no

Would there be any benefit to speeding up that process (if it were possible and plausible to do so) aside from maybe preventing a head on collision with one, if one were detected to be heading towards us? When a BH evaporates, there's no point in which we'd be able to "see inside" of it because it'd still be shrouded by the event horizon, yeah? Or would it become "visible" once the mass reaches a certain level?

elusiveshame said:
Would there be any benefit to speeding up that process (if it were possible and plausible to do so) aside from maybe preventing a head on collision with one, if one were detected to be heading towards us? When a BH evaporates, there's no point in which we'd be able to "see inside" of it because it'd still be shrouded by the event horizon, yeah? Or would it become "visible" once the mass reaches a certain level?
A black hole is not a mass-eating monster! The gravity of the black hole is the same as the collapsed star from which it formed - as long as you remain beyond the original surface radius of the star. I.e. if the Sun became a black hole, this would not directly affect the Earth's orbit. It's only if you get within the original suface radius that the gravity is greater - and once you reach the event horizon, then there is no going back.

In that sense, a black hole would be no more dangerous than a rogue star of the same mass. And, the danger of a rogue star is extremely low risk.

Likes elusiveshame
PeroK said:
A black hole is not a mass-eating monster! The gravity of the black hole is the same as the collapsed star from which it formed - as long as you remain beyond the original surface radius of the star. I.e. if the Sun became a black hole, this would not directly affect the Earth's orbit. It's only if you get within the original suface radius that the gravity is greater - and once you reach the event horizon, then there is no going back.

In that sense, a black hole would be no more dangerous than a rogue star of the same mass. And, the danger of a rogue star is extremely low risk.
D'oh. I feel like I knew this, too. Thanks for the reminder :)

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. It is formed when a large star collapses under its own gravity.

2. Can anything reduce the size of a black hole?

According to current scientific understanding, nothing can reduce the size of a black hole. The only way for a black hole to decrease in size is through the process of Hawking radiation, which is an extremely slow and gradual process.

3. What is Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical process proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking. It suggests that black holes emit radiation over time, causing them to slowly lose mass and eventually evaporate.

4. Can a black hole be destroyed?

No, a black hole cannot be destroyed. Even if it were to lose all of its mass through Hawking radiation, the singularity at the center would still exist. However, the event horizon, which marks the point of no return for objects entering the black hole, would no longer exist.

5. Is it possible for anything to escape from a black hole?

Based on our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has passed the event horizon. However, some theories suggest that there may be a way for information to escape from a black hole, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.