Black Holes & Galaxies: How Do They Work Together?

In summary, PF is a forum for people to learn about mainstream science. This place does not allow personal theories or speculation, so if you want to discuss something outside of the box you will need to do so elsewhere.
twisted-outcast
I have been thinking of how black holes help form galaxies and have come up with this idea. Now I will assume everyone who reads this knows about how black holes and quasars work.

Now if you can imagine a quasar in the beginning, ie. Without the galaxy as we know it now. Just a powerful quasar. That matter coming out from both the black holes poles forms a sort of line in space. Now with the natural conservation of energy over time that line spins in space until it becomes the spiral in galaxies as we know them today.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to say here? Does anyone know if this has been thought of before. Thanx..

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Galaxy formation is an active research topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_formation_and_evolution

In addition, PF rules do not allow personal theories or too much speculation. We stick to mainstream science.

If you want to know more about galaxy formation feel free to discuss it here, but please keep the personal opinion and speculation out of it.

Wow, this forum does not allow personal theories or speculation? Ok, I can respect that, but then this isn't a real forum right? So what exactly is this place. I'm not being smart I really am curious what this place is. Lol

Also does anyone know the name of a sci forum where you can exchange ideas & theories. Thnx in advance

twisted-outcast said:
Wow, this forum does not allow personal theories or speculation?

It does not. Per the rules page:

Mission Statement:

Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community. As our name suggests, our main focus is on physics, but we also have forums for most other academic areas including engineering, chemistry, biology, social sciences, etc.
twisted-outcast said:
Ok, I can respect that, but then this isn't a real forum right?

Of course it is. You wouldn't go into a forum that caters to Ford owners and then bash them because they won't let you discuss your Chevy or Toyota would you? We cater to those people wishing to discuss mainstream science, not to those who wish to discuss personal theories and speculation.

twisted-outcast said:
So what exactly is this place. I'm not being smart I really am curious what this place is.

As the mission statement says, PF exists to teach people about science and physics as the professional scientific community understands and practices it. This gives you the best shot at learning real-world science and its applications. The prevailing idea around here is that you need to know the current ideas and how they work before you can come up with new ideas. In other words, you have to know where the box is if you want to think outside of it. Otherwise you just end up spouting off nonsense inside a dark corner of the box and never realize it.

Besides, what better way to learn than from people who actually work in, or are involved with, the professional scientific community that has developed practically every scientific and technological advancement in the past century or two.

twisted-outcast said:
Also does anyone know the name of a sci forum where you can exchange ideas & theories. Thnx in advance

I can't say I do. I'm sure google could bring up plenty though.

Since it looks like there will be no discussion about mainstream science in this thread I'm going to go ahead and lock it. Feel free to message myself or another mentor if you have any other questions.

Likes Orodruin and Ryan_m_b

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This occurs when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity, becoming incredibly dense.

2. How do black holes and galaxies work together?

Black holes and galaxies are closely connected, as every galaxy is thought to have a supermassive black hole at its center. The black hole's immense gravity helps to shape and hold together the galaxy, while the galaxy's rotation also affects the black hole's growth and behavior.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole (the point of no return), it is impossible for anything, including light, to escape. However, in some cases, particles and radiation can escape from the black hole's surroundings, known as the accretion disk, before they reach the event horizon.

4. How do scientists study black holes and galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study black holes and galaxies, such as telescopes, radio telescopes, X-rays, and computer simulations. By observing the effects of black holes on their surroundings, we can learn more about their properties and behavior.

5. What are the potential dangers of black holes?

Black holes are not a direct threat to us as they are located far away in space. However, if a black hole were to enter our solar system, it could cause disruptions in the orbits of planets and other objects. Additionally, black holes can release powerful bursts of energy that could potentially harm nearby objects.