Black-Holes & the M-Theory - A Question

• Thread starter Decman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    M-theory
In summary, a black hole is a region in space with strong gravitational pull that not even light can escape. We know of their existence through indirect observations and the recent detection of gravitational waves. The M-Theory is a theoretical framework that aims to unify fundamental forces, including gravity, and it predicts the existence of extra dimensions that could help explain black hole behavior. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between black holes and the M-Theory. According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has passed the event horizon, not even light.
Decman
First and foremost, I would like to say that I have no actual training in astronomy or cosmology, so bear with me as I'm pretty much just a hobby reader in both fields. :wink:

A few days ago, I think I read something here along the lines of the possibility of new universes being created (hypothetically) via black-holes; the extremely dense point at the 'bottom' of a black-hole tunnels through space-time and then, through some sort of quantum fluctuation, expands in a much similar way to the Big Bang that our own universe experienced.

My question relates to the size of this hypothetical new universe; would the size of it not depend on the amount of material that the black-hole originally sucked from its own surroundings?

My apologies if the answer is blatantly obvious or it has been answered a million times before - it's just something that's been puzzling me for a while. Thanks for any information! :approve:

Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in astronomy and cosmology, and for your question regarding the possibility of new universes being created through black holes. As a scientist in this field, I would like to provide some information and insights on this topic.

Firstly, it is important to note that the idea of new universes being created through black holes is still a hypothetical concept and has not been proven or observed in reality. It is based on theoretical models and ideas, and is an area of active research and debate among scientists.

In the scenario you described, the formation of a new universe through a black hole would involve the collapse of matter into a singularity, which is an infinitely dense and small point in space. This singularity would then tunnel through space-time and potentially lead to the creation of a new universe through a process similar to the Big Bang.

Regarding the size of this new universe, it is difficult to determine as it would depend on various factors such as the amount of matter and energy that was initially present in the black hole, the conditions of the singularity, and the specific mechanisms involved in the creation process. It is possible that the size of the new universe could vary greatly depending on these factors.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the concept of size may also be different in this hypothetical scenario, as the laws of physics may differ in the new universe. This is because the laws of physics are specific to our universe and may not apply in the same way in a different universe.

In summary, while the idea of new universes being created through black holes is a fascinating and intriguing concept, it is still a theoretical concept that requires further research and evidence to be fully understood. The size of such a universe would depend on various factors and may not be comparable to our own universe. I hope this information helps to answer your question. Thank you for your interest and curiosity in this topic.

Related to Black-Holes & the M-Theory - A Question

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses, creating a point of infinite density known as a singularity.

2. How do we know that black holes exist?

We know that black holes exist through various indirect observations, such as the effect of their strong gravitational pull on surrounding matter and the detection of X-rays emitted from the accretion disk around them. Additionally, the recent detection of gravitational waves has provided direct evidence of the existence of black holes.

3. What is the M-Theory?

The M-Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all known fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, into a single mathematical model. It is still a work in progress and is currently being studied by many physicists.

4. How are black holes and the M-Theory related?

The M-Theory predicts the existence of extra dimensions, which could help explain the behavior of black holes. It also suggests that black holes may be connected to other universes through these extra dimensions. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between black holes and the M-Theory.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has passed the event horizon. Even light, which is the fastest thing in the universe, cannot escape the intense gravitational pull of a black hole.