Rotation curves and apparent mass of a galaxy

• I
  • Thread starter mike_brandt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dark matter
mike_brandt
i am working on an alternate explanation of dark matter
i am looking for data sets of rotational and the apperant mass for the same galaxy
multiple data sets would be helpfull.

Space news on Phys.org
What research have you done so far? What have you found out?

EDIT: Also, what are your qualifications?

this is my first looksee

ive looked at vera rubins paper

ive been a engineer for 40 years working soly on manufactureing. i dont know were the basic data is stored for cosmology

my qualifications.
engineer
mechanic
interest in
knots
origami
both from a theoretical point of view
belive in a geometrical/ physical explanation of everything
major dyslexia as an advantage. i dont see things the same way most people do

a past responder to the same question suggested the sparc data base
just what i was looking for

sorry you got somthing stuck some where

i here there is a patent clerk that might know somthing

Orodruin said:
Can someone tell me where I can get test subjects?
Undergraduates. They'll do anything for beer money.

@mike_brandt we have been having a little fun with you. As you heard, the idea that you are so incredibly smart that you can solve a long-standing problem without even knowing what and where the data are is kind of funny. And un-humble.

You should probably start with the Wikipedia articles and the references at the end. Those references will themselves have references, and that's where you will likely find what you want. Pay particular attention to review papers.

Likes Dale, vanhees71, pinball1970 and 1 other person
mike_brandt said:
A few points:
  • Comparing yourself to Einstein won't help you make your case. That's something crackpots do. You don't want to be lumped in with them.
  • Einstein was not a "clerk". He was hired because he had a doctorate was an expert in electromagnetic theory. A lot of the mythology is unsupported by the actual facts.
  • It is helpful to use capital letters and punctuation. Proper English is easier to read, especially for members whose first language is not English. It's only polite. If you can learn all there is to know about Dark Matter, placement of periods is surely not beyond you.

Likes vanhees71, pinball1970, berkeman and 1 other person
mike_brandt said:
i am working on an alternate explanation of dark matter
Personal research is off limits for discussion here. Please bear that in mind.

mike_brandt said:
i am looking for data sets of rotational and the apperant mass for the same galaxy
multiple data sets would be helpfull.
This question, in itself, is fine as a discussion topic, but please keep to that topic, bearing in mind the caution above.

mike_brandt said:
I hear there are plenty of good textbooks that explain his theory. Have you read them? You do realize that the patent clerk you are referring to had read all of the best textbooks on the physical theories that were current in his time? Not to mention published papers in the top journals describing the latest research? (And not to mention working personally with some of the best experimentalists of his day.) He didn't come up with his theories by using origami. He came up with them by making himself an expert in the best current theories.

Likes Dale, vanhees71 and pinball1970
mike_brandt said:
Since this forum is about cosmology, let's limit geometric/physical explanations to that for purposes of this discussion.

mike_brandt said:
ive been a engineer for 40 years working soly on manufactureing. i dont know were the basic data is stored for cosmology
Then why would you even attempt to jump straight into the deep end of cosmology? Do you understand anything about general relativity, galaxy behavior, or various cosmological models like the FLRW or the LCDM models? Or even basic astronomical phenomena? And when I say 'understand' I don't mean that you've seen some videos on them or read a few articles, but that you actually understand the details about them such that you could probably teach an undergraduate course on the material. If not, then take a few steps back and realize that you're just going to waste your own time if you try to immediately create an alternative explanation of dark matter.

There are people who have been doing astronomy/cosmology research for more than 40 years, with entire careers spent trying to solve this issue using the best astronomical equipment ever built by humanity, with access to supercomputers for detailed modeling, who talk to other astronomers, cosmologists, and physicists on a daily basis, and even they have yet to solve the issue. This isn't something that you can just dip your toes into and make meaningful progress.

Last edited:
Likes phinds and pinball1970
mike_brandt said:
my qualifications.
engineer
mechanic
interest in
knots
origami
both from a theoretical point of view
major dyslexia as an advantage. i dont see things the same way most people do
Thread prefix changed A-->I.

Likes Vanadium 50
PeterDonis said:
Personal research is off limits for discussion here. Please bear that in mind.This question, in itself, is fine as a discussion topic, but please keep to that topic, bearing in mind the caution above.

where is the appropriate forum for personal reserch

mike_brandt said:
Not on physics forums. Please read the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Likes berkeman
mike_brandt said:
I'm afraid the answer is "elsewhere".

I also suspect your "original" research is not so original. Not so many ideas are original, and the one most people think is original dates back to 1690 and was preety much demolished in the 19th century. Yes, I'm guessing...but you wouldn't be the first person here to have "come up with it:.,

This thread was borderline problematic to begin with and is now attracting personal speculation and is thus locked.

Likes Vanadium 50 and phinds

What are rotation curves of galaxies?

Rotation curves are graphs that plot the rotational velocities of stars and gas in a galaxy against their distance from the galaxy's center. These curves are crucial for studying the distribution of mass within galaxies. Typically, the velocity increases near the center and flattens out at a constant speed beyond a certain point, which suggests the presence of additional, unseen mass.

Why do rotation curves suggest the presence of dark matter?

According to Newtonian mechanics, the rotational speeds of objects orbiting a center of mass, like stars in a galaxy, should decrease with distance from the center once most of the galaxy's visible mass is enclosed. However, observed rotation curves of galaxies remain flat or even rise at greater distances, implying the existence of more mass than what is visible. This discrepancy is attributed to dark matter, an unseen substance that does not emit light or energy.

How is the mass of a galaxy estimated using rotation curves?

The mass of a galaxy can be estimated using the rotational velocities from the rotation curves and applying Newton's law of universal gravitation. By measuring how fast objects orbit the center at various distances, astronomers can infer the total mass that must be present to exert the gravitational pull necessary to maintain those orbits. The flat nature of rotation curves at outer regions indicates that the mass continues to increase outward, suggesting a large proportion of a galaxy's mass is in an extended halo of dark matter.

What is the role of dark matter in the formation and evolution of galaxies?

Dark matter plays a critical role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total mass of the universe. The gravitational pull of dark matter helps pull ordinary (baryonic) matter together, aiding in the formation of galaxies in the early universe. It also impacts the structural integrity and dynamics of galaxies, influencing their shape, size, and stability over time.

Are there alternative theories to dark matter that explain the rotation curves of galaxies?

Yes, there are alternative theories to dark matter that attempt to explain the anomalies in galactic rotation curves. One prominent alternative is Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND), which proposes modifications to Newton's laws of motion and gravity at very low accelerations, such as those found at the outer edges of galaxies. Another approach involves modifications to general relativity, leading to theories like TeVeS (Tensor-Vector-Scalar Gravity). However, these alternatives have not gained as much support in the scientific community as the dark matter hypothesis, partly because dark matter also helps explain other phenomena such as the Cosmic Microwave Background fluctuations and galaxy cluster dynamics.