Blackbody radiation intensity find maximum

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the blackbody peak wavelength using Planck's law and the blackbody temperature.
Talltunetalk

Homework Statement

By direct calculation, derive and expression for the wavelength λ(max) at which blackbody radiation intensity is a maximum

2. Homework Equations

Planck's law for the intensity distribution of blackbody radiation as a function of wavelength λ and the blackbody temperature T is given by

I(λ,T) = (2pi)hc^2/(λ^5)(e^((hc)/λkT) -1)

h is Planck's constant 6.626 x10^(-34)
k is blotzman constant 1.38066 x10^(-23)
c is speed of light

The Attempt at a Solution

(-5(2pi)(hc^2)λ^(-6))/(e^(hc)/(λkT) - 1) + λ^(-5)(2pi)(hc^2)(-1)(e^((hc)/(λkT)) -1)^(-2)((-hc)/(kTλ^2))

I used the product rule to get to the answer. I have not yet simplified I am wondering if I have even started the problem correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at your expression? And I don't see an equation, just an expression.

(Just show us your starting-off point, we don't need to see the gorty details... )

I derived Planck's Law with respect to λ and treated T as a constant. My thoughts were that if I do this and find the derivative I can then set it equal to zero and this will give me an expression for λ(max)

That is correct, but I didn't see anything set to zero ... the rest is just 1st-year calculus. You may wind up with an implicit rather than an explicit expression for lambda_max.

Yeah the main idea is using the product rule, being careful to use the chain rule for that e. I recently did this problem in my own physics class. A good thing to do is simplify your expression by putting all the constants into one letter

a=hc/kt for example would be a good idea.

If you are frustrated and can't figure out why its not working, go to hyperphysics page: finding the blackbody peak. google it - i'd send you a link but pf won't let me till i have 10 posts

1. What is blackbody radiation intensity?

Blackbody radiation intensity refers to the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody, which is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all radiation that falls on it. This radiation intensity is dependent on the temperature of the blackbody and its spectral distribution.

2. How is maximum blackbody radiation intensity determined?

The maximum blackbody radiation intensity is determined by using Planck's law, which describes the spectral distribution of the radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. The peak intensity occurs at a specific wavelength, known as the peak wavelength, and can be calculated using Wien's displacement law.

3. What factors affect the maximum blackbody radiation intensity?

The maximum blackbody radiation intensity is affected by the temperature of the blackbody, as well as the composition and surface properties of the blackbody. Additionally, the shape and size of the blackbody can also have an impact on the maximum intensity.

4. How is blackbody radiation intensity related to the color of an object?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects or emits. As the temperature of an object increases, the peak intensity of its blackbody radiation shifts towards shorter wavelengths, resulting in a change in color. For example, as a metal is heated, it changes color from red to orange to yellow to white, due to the increasing temperature and resulting changes in blackbody radiation intensity.

5. Can the maximum blackbody radiation intensity be observed in nature?

Yes, the maximum blackbody radiation intensity can be observed in nature. Examples include the radiation emitted by stars and other celestial bodies, as well as the thermal radiation emitted by objects on Earth, such as the sun or a heated piece of metal. However, in many cases, the observed radiation may not perfectly match the theoretical predictions due to factors such as atmospheric interference or non-ideal blackbody properties.