(Statistics) Blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength?

In summary, the conversation is about transforming a probability distribution using the blackbody spectrum as an example. The spectrum of blackbody radiation is governed by the equation B(f) = af3 / (ebf−1), where a and b are constants and f is the frequency of the emitted light. To find the corresponding distribution of wavelengths B(λ), the frequency f is substituted with c/λ and the constants are compared to the formula on HyperPhysics. By using the formula for variable transformations, it can be determined that B(λ) = -ac4 / λ5(ebc/λ - 1), with a minus sign due to the need to switch the order of limits of integration.
Ryaners
This is a question about transforming a probability distribution, using the blackbody spectrum as an example.

Homework Statement

An opaque, non-reflective body in thermal equilibrium emits blackbody radiation. The spectrum of this radiation is governed by B(f) = af3 / (ebf−1) , where a and b are constants and f is the frequency of the emitted light. Work out the corresponding distribution of wavelengths B(λ) using f = c/λ .

The attempt at a solution
I tried substituting f = c/λ into the given equation - which seemed like a good place to start - and came out with the following:
ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1).
Then when I looked up the actual spectrum in terms of wavelength (on HyperPhysics, here) it gives something else.
This is the HyperPhysics formula:
8πhc / λ5 ⋅ 1 / (ehc/λkT - 1)
Comparing the constants in the frequency spectrum on HPhys with a & b in the formula in the question:
a = 8πh / c3
b = h / kT
Which then turns my answer of ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1) into:
8πh / c3 ⋅ c3 / λ3(ehc/λkT - 1)
= 8πh / λ3 ⋅ 1 / (ehc/λkT - 1)

It looks like I'm out by a factor of c / λ2 compared to the 'real' wavelength spectrum - have I approached this the wrong way, or has the question just simplified the given formula in some way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryaners said:
This is a question about transforming a probability distribution, using the blackbody spectrum as an example.

Homework Statement

An opaque, non-reflective body in thermal equilibrium emits blackbody radiation. The spectrum of this radiation is governed by B(f) = af3 / (ebf−1) , where a and b are constants and f is the frequency of the emitted light. Work out the corresponding distribution of wavelengths B(λ) using f = c/λ .

The attempt at a solution
I tried substituting f = c/λ into the given equation - which seemed like a good place to start - and came out with the following:
ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1).
Then when I looked up the actual spectrum in terms of wavelength (on HyperPhysics, here) it gives something else.
This is the HyperPhysics formula:
8πhc / λ5 ⋅ 1 / (ehc/λkT - 1)
Comparing the constants in the frequency spectrum on HPhys with a & b in the formula in the question:
a = 8πh / c3
b = h / kT
Which then turns my answer of ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1) into:
8πh / c3 ⋅ c3 / λ3(ehc/λkT - 1)
= 8πh / λ3 ⋅ 1 / (ehc/λkT - 1)

It looks like I'm out by a factor of c / λ2 compared to the 'real' wavelength spectrum - have I approached this the wrong way, or has the question just simplified the given formula in some way?
As a hint:

If f = c/λ, then what is the derivative, df/dλ ?

Likes Ryaners
SammyS said:
As a hint:

If f = c/λ, then what is the derivative, df/dλ ?

Ok, that's definitely got me thinking now :) I did some digging and found this formula for performing transformations of variables:
f(x) = g(y)⋅dy/dx
where I take it f(x) is the original form of the function, and g(y) is the function in the desired 'new' terms.

So in this case that would be B(f) = B(λ)⋅df/dλ... right? ***
⇒ B(λ) = B(f) / (df/dλ)

And as f = c/λ = c⋅λ-1 ⇒ df/dλ = -c/λ2 (is that correct?)

⇒ B(λ) = ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1) ⋅ -(λ2/c)
= - ac2 / λ(ebc/λ - 1)

I've definitely gone wrong there, haven't I? :oldfrown: I can see that multiplying B(f) [= B(c/λ)] by df/dλ would get me to the formula I found on HPhys, but with a minus sign...?!

*** Edit *** Hang on, I can see I got dλ/df the wrong way around in B(f) = B(λ)⋅dλ/df above, which gives me:
B(λ) = ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1) ⋅ -(c / λ2)
= - ac4 / λ5(ebc/λ - 1)
Now the only thing bugging me is that minus sign - what's going on there?

Thanks so much for your comment, it's really pointed me in the right direction!

Ryaners said:

*** Edit *** Hang on, I can see I got dλ/df the wrong way around in B(f) = B(λ)⋅dλ/df above - now the only confusing thing is the minus sign...

Suppose λ1 = c/f1, and λ2 = c/f2 .

So if f2 > f1 , then λ2 < λ1 , and you would need to switch the order of the limits of integration, which changes the sign back to positive.

Likes Ryaners
SammyS said:
Suppose λ1 = c/f1, and λ2 = c/f2 .

So if f2 > f1 , then λ2 < λ1 , and you would need to switch the order of the limits of integration, which changes the sign back to positive.
Ahhhh of course, I forgot about that! Thank you so much, it's such a relief to 'get' that now. :)

Likes SammyS

1. What is a blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength?

A blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength is a plot of the intensity of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody at different wavelengths. It follows a specific shape and can be used to analyze the properties of the blackbody, such as its temperature.

2. What is the significance of the blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength?

The blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of blackbodies and their radiation. It also has important applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and materials science.

3. How is the shape of the blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength determined?

The shape of the blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength is determined by Planck's law, which describes the relationship between the intensity of the radiation and its wavelength at a given temperature. It follows a bell-shaped curve, with the peak shifting to shorter wavelengths as the temperature increases.

4. What is Wien's displacement law and how does it relate to the blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength?

Wien's displacement law states that the peak wavelength of the blackbody spectrum is inversely proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the peak shifts to shorter wavelengths. This law is closely related to the shape of the blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength.

5. How does the blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength differ from the blackbody spectrum in terms of frequency?

The blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength and frequency are mathematically equivalent, but they represent the data in different units. The wavelength spectrum is more commonly used in physics and engineering, while the frequency spectrum is more commonly used in chemistry and radio astronomy.