Block Diagram Reduction - Control Systems Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about determining the closed loop transfer functions of two systems and finding the value of G1(s). After some discussion about the given solution and the confusion it caused, the correct solution is determined to be G1(s) = 4s + 9. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the output of the summing block can be written as Vout=Vin(1+4(s+2)) and therefore Vout/Vin=4s+9.
MechEngJordan

Homework Statement

Determine the closed loop transfer functions of the systems shown below:

Screenshot (41).png

Homework Equations

Standard block diagram algebra.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've moved the take off point such that the diagram now looks like:

Screenshot (40).png

I am having difficulty determining G1(s). The solution given is

G1(s) = 4(s + 2) + 1 = 4s + 9

But it is not obvious to me where this is coming from. Taking G1(s) as given, I am able to solve the rest of the question without issue.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is a little confusing. The combination of the (s+2) and the gain 4 is clearly 4(s+2). Is that what you mean by G1? If you want to consolidate that loop (second diagram) including the summation block, it would be 4(s+2)+1.

MechEngJordan said:
G1(s) = 4(s + 2) + 1 = 4s + 9
But it is not obvious to me where this is coming from. Taking G1(s) as given, I am able to solve the rest of the question without issue.

You have nothing to do than to write down the output of the summing block as a function of the input:
Vout=Vin + Vin*4*(s+2)=Vin(1+4(s+2)).
From this it follows Vout/Vin=4s+9

1. What is a block diagram in control systems engineering?

A block diagram in control systems engineering is a graphical representation of a system's functional components and their interconnections. It is used to illustrate the relationship between inputs, outputs, and feedback in a control system.

2. How is block diagram reduction used in control systems engineering?

Block diagram reduction is a technique used in control systems engineering to simplify complex systems by reducing multiple blocks into a single equivalent block. This helps in analyzing and designing control systems more easily and efficiently.

3. What are the basic principles of block diagram reduction?

The basic principles of block diagram reduction include combining blocks in series, parallel, and feedback configurations, using block algebra to simplify complex blocks, and eliminating unnecessary blocks or loops. These principles help in reducing the complexity of a control system and making it easier to analyze and design.

4. What are the advantages of using block diagram reduction in control systems engineering?

Using block diagram reduction in control systems engineering has several advantages, including simplifying the representation of complex systems, reducing the number of variables, and making it easier to analyze and design control systems. It also helps in identifying and eliminating potential sources of errors or instability in a control system.

5. Can block diagram reduction be applied to all types of control systems?

Yes, block diagram reduction can be applied to all types of control systems, including electrical, mechanical, and chemical systems. It is a universal technique used in control systems engineering to simplify and analyze complex systems, regardless of the type of system or its components.