Block on a spring on a horizontal surface with friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 3.0 kg block held against a spring with a force constant of 125 N/m. The spring is compressed by 12 cm and released across a horizontal plank with a coefficient of friction of 0.1. The first part of the problem asks for the velocity of the block just as it leaves the spring, assuming negligible friction. The second part asks for the distance the block travels after leaving the spring. The solution involves using energy conservation and finding the potential energy of the spring when the block loses contact with it. The final answer for the velocity is 0.77 m/s. For the distance, friction may be taken into account by using the formula W = Fdcos
lilmulla

Homework Statement

A 3.0 kg block is held against a spring with a force constant of 125 N/m. The spring is compressed by 12 cm. The ice is released across a horizontal plank with a coefficient of friction of 0.1

A) Calculate the velocity of the block just as it leaves the spring. Assume the friction between the plank and block is negligible until the moment the block leaves the spring.

B) Determine the distance the block travels after it leaves the spring.

Homework Equations

Ek = 0.5mv^2
Ee = 0.5KX^2
W = Fdcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it just how I would do a problem except I threw in the work formula in there so:

Ek1 = Ee2 + (Fdcos180)

After cancelling the 0.5 in each equation: mv^2 = kx^2 + (fdcos180)

3v^2 = (125 x 0.12^2) - (0.1 x 3 x 9.81 x 0.12)

3v^2 = 1.45

V = 1.44 m/s

This is wrong because the answer key says the answer is 0.77 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
The question has 2 parts and you are mixing them together I think and approaching it wrong. The first part assumes no friction in between the initial release of the the spring from rest and the point where the block leaves (loses contact with) the spring. Try again using energy conservation. What is the potential energy of the spring when the block loses contact with it?

lilmulla said:
After cancelling the 0.5 in each equation: mv^2 = kx^2 + (fdcos180)
There was not a factor of 0.5 in the fdcos180 term. But as PJ points out, you don't need it.
lilmulla said:
3v^2 = 1.45

V = 1.44 m/s
Try that step again.

haruspex said:
There was not a factor of 0.5 in the fdcos180 term. But as PJ points out, you don't need it.

Try that step again.

Woops, I messed up solving for v but I end up with 0.7 after I solved correctly? Where else could I have messed up that accounts for the .07 difference?

lilmulla said:
Woops, I messed up solving for v but I end up with 0.7 after I solved correctly? Where else could I have messed up that accounts for the .07 difference?
Please show how you arrived at that incorrect result.

lilmulla said:
You must be still subtracting for energy lost to friction. As PJ pointed out, the question says:
lilmulla said:
Assume the friction between the plank and block is negligible until the moment the block leaves the spring.
If that does not explain it, please post all your working now.

PhanthomJay said:
The question has 2 parts and you are mixing them together I think and approaching it wrong. The first part assumes no friction in between the initial release of the the spring from rest and the point where the block leaves (loses contact with) the spring. Try again using energy conservation. What is the potential energy of the spring when the block loses contact with it?

Ohh okay, I got 0.77 when taking out friction but now how would I solve for the distance in part b? Is this where I plug in friction?

lilmulla said:
Ohh okay, I got 0.77 when taking out friction but now how would I solve for the distance in part b? Is this where I plug in friction?
yes give it a go.

PhanthomJay said:
yes give it a go.

Where exactly would I solve for the distance? Isn't the distance in (Fdcostheta) just equal to 0.12?

lilmulla said:
Where exactly would I solve for the distance? Isn't the distance in (Fdcostheta) just equal to 0.12?
No, the 0.12 was the distance the block moved up to the point where it left the spring. You now want to find out how much further it goes.

1. What is the purpose of studying a block on a spring on a horizontal surface with friction?

Studying a block on a spring on a horizontal surface with friction allows scientists to understand the behavior of objects in simple harmonic motion and the effects of friction on that motion. This can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and mechanics.

2. How is the motion of the block affected by the spring constant?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of the spring and affects the frequency and period of the motion. A higher spring constant results in a shorter period and vice versa.

3. What is the role of friction in this system?

Friction acts as a resistive force in the system, slowing down the motion of the block and dissipating energy. It also affects the amplitude and frequency of the motion.

4. How does the mass of the block affect the motion?

The mass of the block affects the system by changing the inertia and therefore the period of the motion. A heavier block will have a longer period than a lighter block with the same spring constant.

5. Can the block ever come to a complete stop in this system?

Yes, the block can come to a complete stop if the amplitude of the motion decreases over time due to the dissipative effects of friction. In a theoretical system with no external forces, the block would eventually come to rest at the equilibrium point.