Block-pulley system and kinetic energy

In summary, a pulley with a radius of 3.0 cm and a rotational inertia of 4.5×10^-3 kg·m2 is suspended from the ceiling with a rope passing over it and two blocks attached to the ends. At any instant after the blocks start moving, the object with the greatest kinetic energy will be the one with the greatest speed v, which is equal to the angular speed of the pulley v/r. This means that the object with the greatest kinetic energy is the one with the greatest mass, which in this case is the heavier block.
Kennedy

Homework Statement

A pulley with a radius of 3.0 cm and a rotational inertia of 4.5×10^-3 kg·m2 is suspended from the ceiling. A rope passes over it with a 2.0-kg block attached to one end and a 4.0-kg block attached to the other. The rope does not slip on the pulley. At any instant after the blocks start moving, the object with the greatest kinetic energy is: (a) the heavier block (b) the lighter block (c) the pulley (d) either block (the two blocks have the same kinetic energy) (e) none (all three objects have the same kinetic energy)

Homework Equations

I know that the kinetic energy of the pulley is calculated by KE = 1/2(I)(w^2), and the kinetic energy of the blocks will be KE = 1/2(m)(v^2), but how do I go about finding the angular speed of the pulley and the speed of the blocks? Do I have to somehow use the fact that the tangential speed/radius is equal to the angular speed?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm thinking that the tangential acceleration will be the same for all of the objects in the system, which means that their speeds will be the same at any given moment (with the exception of the pulley which will have an angular velocity of tangential speed/radius). Is this right, and where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kennedy said:

Homework Statement

A pulley with a radius of 3.0 cm and a rotational inertia of 4.5×10^-3 kg·m2 is suspended from the ceiling. A rope passes over it with a 2.0-kg block attached to one end and a 4.0-kg block attached to the other. The rope does not slip on the pulley. At any instant after the blocks start moving, the object with the greatest kinetic energy is: (a) the heavier block (b) the lighter block (c) the pulley (d) either block (the two blocks have the same kinetic energy) (e) none (all three objects have the same kinetic energy)

Homework Equations

I know that the kinetic energy of the pulley is calculated by KE = 1/2(I)(w^2), and the kinetic energy of the blocks will be KE = 1/2(m)(v^2), but how do I go about finding the angular speed of the pulley and the speed of the blocks? Do I have to somehow use the fact that the tangential speed/radius is equal to the angular speed?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm thinking that the tangential acceleration will be the same for all of the objects in the system, which means that their speeds will be the same at any given moment (with the exception of the pulley which will have an angular velocity of tangential speed/radius). Is this right, and where do I go from here?
You are right. The points on the circumference of the pulley move with the same speed v as the blocks do, so the angular speed of the pulley is equal v/r.
Write all kinetic energies in terms of v. Which is greatest?

1. What is a block-pulley system?

A block-pulley system is a mechanical system consisting of a block (or multiple blocks) connected by ropes or cables that run over one or more pulleys. It is used to change the direction of a force and to transmit motion and force from one point to another.

2. How does a block-pulley system work?

A block-pulley system works by utilizing the principles of mechanical advantage and conservation of energy. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, it is transmitted through the pulley to the other end, resulting in a force that is larger or smaller than the initial applied force depending on the number and arrangement of pulleys.

3. What is kinetic energy in a block-pulley system?

Kinetic energy in a block-pulley system refers to the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. As the block is pulled by the rope, it gains kinetic energy which is then transferred to the pulley and back to the block as it moves.

4. How is kinetic energy calculated in a block-pulley system?

Kinetic energy in a block-pulley system can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the moving block and v is its velocity. It is important to note that the kinetic energy of the entire system (including the pulley) remains constant, as per the law of conservation of energy.

5. What factors affect the kinetic energy in a block-pulley system?

The kinetic energy in a block-pulley system is affected by various factors. These include the mass and velocity of the moving block, the number and arrangement of pulleys, and the efficiency of the pulley system. Friction can also play a role in reducing the kinetic energy of the system.