Block sliding down a wedge, all resting on a balance

dorothy
Homework Statement
Hello! I am now working on an exercise which is related to mechanics. I calculated it wrongly. Attached is the answer. I have no idea how to do c(ii), I don’t understand how cos theta is applied in that question. Please explain it to me if you get it. thanks a lot!
Relevant Equations
F=ma
a=mg*sin theta
IMG_0130.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the wedge block sliding down on the rough incline. Please answer the following three questions which are an elaboration of the hint in c(ii).
  1. What is the magnitude and direction of the net force on the sliding block? It cannot be zero because the block is accelerating.
  2. What is the force exerted by the block on the wedge? It must be a 2D vector with horizontal and vertical components.
  3. What must be true for the wedge to remain stationary?
Bonus question: What is the reading of the balance when the block is accelerating?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and MatinSAR

1. What is a block sliding down a wedge on a balance?

A block sliding down a wedge on a balance is a physics experiment that involves a block of mass sliding down a wedge-shaped ramp that is resting on a balance. The balance measures the weight of the block and the ramp, and the goal is to understand the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the weight of the block.

2. How does the angle of the wedge affect the weight of the block?

The angle of the wedge affects the weight of the block because it determines the amount of force that is acting on the block due to gravity. As the angle of the wedge increases, the force of gravity acting on the block also increases, resulting in a greater weight measurement on the balance.

3. What factors can affect the results of this experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the results of this experiment, including the mass of the block, the angle of the wedge, the surface friction between the block and the ramp, and the accuracy of the balance. It is important to control these factors in order to obtain accurate and consistent results.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the wedge and the weight of the block?

The relationship between the angle of the wedge and the weight of the block is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of the wedge increases, the weight of the block also increases. This relationship can be described using the formula W = mgsinθ, where W is the weight of the block, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the wedge.

5. How can this experiment be useful in real-life applications?

This experiment can be useful in real-life applications, such as in engineering and construction, where understanding the relationship between angles and weight is important. It can also be used to study the principles of gravity and motion, and to demonstrate the concept of equilibrium. Additionally, it can be a fun and interactive way to learn about physics and scientific concepts.