Blocks sliding down different lengths of ramp

In summary, the Brachistochrone curve is a curve that allows an object to accelerate down at the fastest rate possible. This is due to the changing slope, which affects the acceleration due to gravity. In the conversation, it was discussed that a block would reach the ground faster on a steeper ramp compared to a shallower one, as the acceleration due to gravity is larger on steeper slopes. This is not affected by friction, but rather the changing slope of the ramp. To fully understand the concept, it is recommended to study forces and their effects, as well as looking into Brachistochrone curve videos.
dibilo
I have been watching videos on the brachistochrone curve and from my understanding, the curve works as the ball goes through more acceleration at start, therefore causing it to reach the end the fastest. However, I understand that acceleration towards Earth is constant (9.81 m/s^2) and this brings me to another question.

1e2fbjQ.png

From experience, I believe that if I slide a block down both ramps from the same height, a block will reach the ground faster on ramp B than ramp A. Since acceleration towards Earth is constant, what caused the difference in timing? Is it just friction?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachments

• 1e2fbjQ.png
    1e2fbjQ.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,371
Physics news on Phys.org
dibilo said:
From experience, I believe that if I slide a block down both ramps from the same height, a block will reach the ground faster on ramp B than ramp A
It's not friction. It's the component of the acceleration of gravity in the vertical direction that counts. Think of doing this on a frictionless ramp. When the angle of the incline is zero, the time is infinite, because there is no acceleration in the vertical direction and the block once at rest, stays at rest. When the angle of the ramp is 90o, the time is a minimum because the acceleration is as large as it would get for any angle, namely the acceleration of gravity, and the block is in free fall.

On edit: The component of the acceleration of gravity along the ramp is ax = g sinθ, where θ is the angle with respect to the horizontal.

What kuruman said. In addition, shallower angles have longer ramps. The result is that shallower ramps have both lower acceleration and longer distance to travel.

The first issue with your assumption is that acceleration is constant when going down a slope. Brachistocrone curves do not have constant slopes and therefore do not have constant acceleration.

Acceleration due to gravity = g sin (theta). The acceleration due to gravity is different due to different slopes. With steep slopes as in Ramp B, theta approaches 90 degrees and the acceleration approaches 9.8 m/s^2. With Ramp A, theta is quite small, and the acceleration due to gravity on the slope is just a fraction of the actual acceleration due to gravity. Ramp B will accelerate an object faster.

A Brachistocrone curve resembles the ideal changing slope for an object to accelerate down. If you wanted to calculate the actual Brachistochrone curve, we could get into some serious calculus.

My suggestion is that you study forces and their effects a little more and then look at Brachistochrone curve videos. The basic reason behind all this is the changing acceleration due to a changing slope (not friction).

1. What is the purpose of studying blocks sliding down different lengths of ramp?

The purpose of this study is to observe the relationship between the length of a ramp and the speed at which a block slides down it. This can help us understand the principles of motion and gravity.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the distance a block travels?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the faster the block will travel. This is because the force of gravity acting on the block is greater, causing it to accelerate more quickly.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a block sliding down a ramp?

The length of the ramp, the angle of the ramp, the mass of the block, and the surface of the ramp can all affect the speed of a block sliding down a ramp. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

4. How can we measure the speed of a block sliding down a ramp?

The speed of a block can be measured using a stopwatch and measuring the time it takes for the block to travel a certain distance. This can then be used to calculate the average speed of the block.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying blocks sliding down different lengths of ramp?

The principles learned from this study can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. Understanding how different factors affect the motion of objects can help in designing structures and machines that function efficiently.