Calculate speed of block at the end of the ramp

In summary, a 1.40 kg mass is placed on a 2.00 m ramp with an adjustable angle. The ramp has a small amount of friction with coefficients of static and kinetic friction of 0.261 and 0.119 respectively. When the ramp is adjusted to an angle of 48.0 degrees and the block slides from rest down the full 2.00 m, the final velocity can be calculated using the equation V^2 = -2 x g x (-1.486289651 + 0.261 x cos(48) x 2) and taking the square root. The resulting velocity is approximately 5 m/s.
Anon2459

Homework Statement

A mass of m = 1.40 kg is placed on a 2.00 m ramp. The angle of the ramp can be adjusted by changing the height of the top of the ramp.

In reality there is a small amount of friction between the block and the ramp: μs = 0.261, μk = 0.119.

If the ramp (with friction acting) is now lifted so that θ = 48.0o and the block now slides from rest the full 2.00 m down the ramp what is its speed at the bottom?

Homework Equations

V^2 = -2 x g x (h-ugcosangle x d)

height of ramp = 0.7020408163

The Attempt at a Solution

V^2 = -2 x 9.8 x (-0.7020408163 + 0.119 x cos48 x 2) = wrong answer

Which friction do i use? Static or kinetic? Or is my approach wrong entirely?

Not sure where i went wrong[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
When you post, please provide your argumentation along with your equations and do not forget the units - units are important. Also, do not overdo the significant digits.

That being said: What is the work done by a force? In which direction does friction act? Consequently, what is the work done by the friction?

Find out first if the force due to gravity can overcome the static friction force. if so it will accelerate down the block.

Anon2459 said:
height of ramp = 0.7020408163
It must be more than that.

hi everyone,

do i use us or uk to calculate the velocity?

Thanks

Anon2459 said:
hi everyone,

do i use us or uk to calculate the velocity?

Thanks
You are ignoring my post #4. Please show how you are calculating the ramp height.

haruspex said:
You are ignoring my post #4. Please show how you are calculating the ramp height.
hi, sorry
i recalculated it using the new angle 48
so sin(48) x 2 = h

i incorrectly used the height from the previous answer hence why it was 0.7,

haruspex said:
My solution is:

V^2 = -2 x g x (-1.486289651 + 0.261 x cos(48) x 2)
And then square root

Is this correct ?

Anon2459 said:
My solution is:

V^2 = -2 x g x (-1.486289651 + 0.261 x cos(48) x 2)
And then square root

Is this correct ?
Looks ok.

haruspex said:
Looks ok.
it was wrong unfortunately

Anon2459 said:
it was wrong unfortunately
What number did you get? I got roughly 5m/s.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a block at the end of a ramp?

The speed of a block at the end of a ramp can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the final speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the ramp.

2. What is the relationship between the height of a ramp and the speed of a block at the end?

The speed of a block at the end of a ramp is directly proportional to the height of the ramp. This means that as the height of the ramp increases, the speed of the block at the end will also increase.

3. Can the mass of the block affect its speed at the end of the ramp?

Yes, the mass of the block can affect its speed at the end of the ramp. According to the equation v = √(2gh), the speed of the block is also affected by its mass. A heavier block will have a slower speed compared to a lighter block on the same ramp.

4. Is the speed of the block at the end of the ramp affected by friction?

Yes, the speed of the block at the end of the ramp is affected by friction. Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it will cause the block to slow down as it moves down the ramp. This means that the actual speed of the block at the end will be slightly lower than the calculated speed.

5. Can the angle of the ramp affect the speed of the block at the end?

Yes, the angle of the ramp can affect the speed of the block at the end. The steeper the ramp, the greater the acceleration due to gravity, and therefore the higher the speed of the block at the end. This is because the force of gravity acting on the block is pulling it down the ramp at a steeper angle, causing it to accelerate faster.