Bluetooth speaker connects to Raspberry Pi 4 but plays no sound

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of pairing a Bluetooth speaker to a Raspberry Pi 4 and selecting it as the current audio output. However, when trying to play media, the speaker remains silent and pressing the volume up key only plays the media for a short time. The speaker's profile is shown as "High Fidelity Audio (A2DP Sink)" under "device profiles." The person suggests troubleshooting and checking for a proper driver on the Pi, as well as researching possible solutions online. They also mention that Bluetooth earphones have worked without any issues, but there may be a specific module needed for the speaker to work properly.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
  • I am able to pair my Bluetooth speaker to my Raspberry Pi 4.
  • I am able to select it as the current audio output by right clicking on the "speaker" icon, top left of desktop.
  • Under "device profiles" the speaker's profile is shown as "High Fidelity Audio (A2DP Sink)".
  • But when I play any media, the speaker is silent.
  • Each time I press the volume up (+) key on the speaker, it plays the media for a short time (a fraction of a second).

Anything I can do to troubleshoot and fix this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I haven't done anything like this before but the first thing that I would do is check to see if you have a proper driver installed on the Pi.

Borg said:
I haven't done anything like this before but the first thing that I would do is check to see if you have a proper driver installed on the Pi.

At least some of the driver stack is installed and working properly, because I am able to use Bluetooth earphones (2 or 3 different makes) without any problem.

I could still be missing some specific module that is needed for the speaker, though. I am googling this problem. The suggestions I found so far haven't helped.

1. Why is my Bluetooth speaker connected to Raspberry Pi 4 but not playing any sound?

This issue might be due to the Raspberry Pi not recognizing the Bluetooth speaker as an audio output device. Ensure that the speaker is set as the default audio output device. You can configure this using the `raspi-config` tool or the audio settings in the desktop interface.

2. How do I set my Bluetooth speaker as the default audio output on Raspberry Pi 4?

To set your Bluetooth speaker as the default audio output, you can use the command line interface. First, connect your speaker via Bluetooth, then open a terminal and type `sudo raspi-config` to open the configuration tool. Navigate to the 'System Options' and 'Audio' to select your Bluetooth speaker as the output device.

3. What should I do if my Raspberry Pi 4 still does not output sound to the Bluetooth speaker after setting it as the default audio device?

If the problem persists, try restarting the Bluetooth service on your Raspberry Pi or reboot the device. You can restart the Bluetooth service by running `sudo systemctl restart bluetooth` in the terminal. Also, check if the volume is properly set both on your Raspberry Pi and the Bluetooth speaker itself.

4. Could the problem be related to Bluetooth drivers or compatibility issues on Raspberry Pi 4?

Yes, compatibility issues or outdated Bluetooth drivers could be the cause. Make sure your Raspberry Pi's system is up to date by running `sudo apt-get update` and `sudo apt-get upgrade`. Additionally, check if there are specific drivers or patches for your Bluetooth speaker model.

5. What are some troubleshooting steps I can take if my Bluetooth speaker is still not working with my Raspberry Pi 4?

If you're still facing issues, try pairing and connecting the speaker again. Remove the device from your Bluetooth paired list and pair it again. Additionally, check the `pulseaudio` settings or install it if it's not already present on your system. Running `pulseaudio --start` can sometimes resolve audio output issues. Also, consider checking the Raspberry Pi forums and communities for similar issues and solutions specific to your Bluetooth speaker model.