Boats in a triangle colliding after some time

In summary: For instance, if ##veq 0##, then the boats will not collide; if ##veq 1##, then the boats will collide at ##(a+\frac{1}{2})(a+\frac{1}{3})## points; and so on.
RubroCP
Misplaced Homework Thread moved to the schoolwork forums from a technical forum
Assume that three boats, ##B_1##, ##B_2## and ##B_3## travel on a lake with a constant magnitude velocity equal to ##v##. ##B_1## always travels towards ##B_2##, which in turn travels towards ##B_3## which ultimately travels towards ##B_1##. Initially, the boats are at points on the water surface that form an equilateral triangle with an edge ##a##, as shown in the following figure.

a) How long does it take for the boats to meet?

b) Calculate the expression of the trajectory described by one of the three boats.

GAB:
a)
##t=\frac{2a}{3v}##
b) ##r(\theta)=\frac{a\sqrt{3}}{3}e^{-\sqrt{3}\theta}##Hi guys, I would like some help in solving this problem. I first tried to describe the initial movement of each boat vectorly and tried to find the point where the boats collide. However, I've just noticed that the angle ##\theta## doesn't stay constant, so the velocity vector changes with each passing second. I've already solved a similar problem in Irodov, with turtles heading towards each other if I'm not mistaken, but the question didn't ask to describe the position as a function of time. I really appreciate it if you can help me with ideas.

Attachments

• photo_2021-11-25_15-54-12.jpg
    photo_2021-11-25_15-54-12.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 69
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a hint. After a small time ##\delta t##, then to first order in ##\delta t## each boat has moved ##v\delta t## along the edge of the triangle:

1637868064288.png

This results in a new equilateral triangle, of slightly shorter side length. What is the side length of this new triangle to first order in ##\delta t##? What is the change ##\delta l## in side length in time ##\delta t##? What is ##\delta l / \delta t##?

(You can imagine drawing a sequence of smaller and smaller such triangles until the boats collide. )

Likes Lnewqban
Much can be deduced as consequences of the symmetry of the problem.

1. What causes boats in a triangle to collide after some time?

The most common cause of boats colliding in a triangle formation is due to the natural movement of water currents and wind. These forces can push the boats closer together, causing them to eventually collide.

2. Can the collision of boats in a triangle be prevented?

Yes, the collision of boats in a triangle can be prevented by adjusting the position and direction of the boats. By carefully navigating the boats and taking into account the water currents and wind, collisions can be avoided.

3. How long does it typically take for boats in a triangle to collide?

The time it takes for boats in a triangle to collide can vary depending on the strength and direction of water currents and wind, as well as the size and speed of the boats. In some cases, it may take only a few minutes, while in others it may take several hours.

4. Are there any safety measures that should be taken when boats are in a triangle formation?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety measures when operating boats in a triangle formation. This includes having proper training and experience in navigating boats, wearing life jackets, and constantly monitoring the movements of the boats and surrounding water conditions.

5. Is there a specific pattern or direction in which boats in a triangle tend to collide?

There is no specific pattern or direction in which boats in a triangle tend to collide. The collision can occur in any direction depending on the movement of the boats and external forces such as water currents and wind.