Calculating magnetic induction in a triangle

In summary, the problem involves calculating the vector of magnetic induction at point O in a 3-Phase direct-symmetrical system with three parallel conductors passing through the A B C points of a triangle with side ##a##. The effective values of currents are ##I## and the frequency is ##w##, with the phase of current 1 being ##Ψ_1 = 0##. The magnetic induction of a very long straight wire is given by ##B=\frac{μ_0I}{2\pi r}##, where the distance from each wire to point O is ##r = \frac{a}{2\sqrt2}##. The solution involves finding the vector components for each wire and adding them
diredragon

Homework Statement

Three very long parallel conductors situated in the air make a direct-symmetrical 3-Phase system. The conductors pass through the A B C points of the triangle of side ##a##. The currents in the conductor form a direct-symmetrical 3-Phase system. Effective values of currents are ##I## and the frequency is ##w##. The phase of current 1 is ##Ψ_1 = 0##.
a) Calculate the vector of magnetic induction ##B## in the point ##O##.
b) What does that vector inscribe over time?
triangle.png

IMG_4559.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
The currents in a 3-Phase direct system have a relation
##I_1 = I_m\cos {wt} = I\sqrt2\cos {wt}##
##I_2 = I_m\cos (wt - 2\pi/3) = I\sqrt2\cos (wt - 2\pi/3)##
##I_3 = I_m\cos (wt + 2\pi/3) = I\sqrt2\cos (wt + 2\pi/3)##
IMG_4560.JPG

Magnetic Induction of a very long straight wire is ##B=\frac{μ_0I}{2\pi r}##
The distance of every wire to the point ##O## is ##r = \frac{a}{2\sqrt2}##
From the wires we only get ##B_z## and ##B_x## since ##B_y = 0##. The angles to the axis is ##\pi/4## (This I assumed).
##B_1 = \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos {wt}}{\pi a}##
##B_2 = \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos (wt - 2\pi/3)}{\pi a}##
##B_3 = \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos (wt + 2\pi/3)}{\pi a}##
Total ##B_x## should then be:
##B_x = B_2*\sqrt2/2 + B_3*\sqrt2/2 - B_1*\sqrt2/2## and ##B_z##:
##B_z = B_1*\sqrt2/2 + B_3*\sqrt2/2 - B_2*\sqrt2/2##
Inserting: ##B_x = \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos (wt - 2\pi/3)}{\pi a}*\sqrt2/2 + \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos (wt + 2\pi/3)}{\pi a}*\sqrt2/2 - \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos {wt}}{\pi a}*\sqrt2/2##, ##B_y = \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos {wt}}{\pi a}*\sqrt2/2 + \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos (wt + 2\pi/3)}{\pi a}*\sqrt2/2 - \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos (wt - 2\pi/3)}{\pi a}*\sqrt2/2##

This seems overly complicated and doesn't seem to match the solution which is simple
solution.png

Did i assume wrongly that the angle is ##\frac{\pi}{4}##. The angle of ##\frac{\pi}{6}## has ##\sqrt3## and that could result in this ##\sqrt6## shown in the answer. Or is it something else?

Attachments

• triangle.png
    triangle.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 416
  • solution.png
    solution.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_4559.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 616
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you have drawn the magnetic field vectors incorrectly. They should be perpendicular to the vector from each wire to the center of the triangle, not perpendicular to the side of the triangle.

kuruman said:
It looks like you have drawn the magnetic field vectors incorrectly. They should be perpendicular to the vector from each wire to the center of the triangle, not perpendicular to the side of the triangle.
You mean like this?
vectors.png

Attachments

• vectors.png
    vectors.png
    2 KB · Views: 453
Yes. Remember that the magnetic field lines form circles centered at the wire that generates them. Therefore, at the point of interest they are tangent to the circle and perpendicular to the radius.

kuruman said:
Yes. Remember that the magnetic field lines form circles centered at the wire that generates them. Therefore, at the point of interest they are tangent to the circle and perpendicular to the radius.
Right, i was drawing circles on the original picture but i drew the lines incorrectly. What about the other work I've done? Besides the angles, does everything else seems fine?

Everything else should be OK if you figure out the revised vector components correctly.

kuruman said:
Everything else should be OK if you figure out the revised vector components correctly.
So with the correct angles, ##B_2, B_3## form a ##2\pi/3## angle with the x-axis and the ##B_1## is it's own projection on the negative x-axis part.
##B_x = B_21/2 + B_31/2 - B_1## and this equals ##\frac{-3μ_0I\cos (wt)}{\pi a}## according to Wolfram Alpha simplification of the above expression. I am missing a ##\frac {\sqrt6}{4}## term somehow.

You have made a mistake somewhere in your algebra. It pays to be systematic and use a single symbol for a whole bunch of constants that are common to all terms. For example, I rewrote ##B_1 = \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos {\omega t}}{\pi a}## as ##B_1 = B_0 \cos \omega t## where ##B_0 = \frac{\sqrt2 μ_0I\sqrt2}{\pi a}## and the same with the other two. I then used the identity ##\cos(a+b)=\cos a ~\cos b-\sin a~\sin b## to get rid of the ##2\pi/3## phases and have terms in ##\cos \omega t## multiplied by factors like ##\pm \frac{1}{2}## or ##\pm \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##. Finally, I noted that a given field is parallel (in the clockwise direction) to the triangle side opposite to the wire that generates it. This allowed me to write unit vectors for each field. For example, I found that
$$\vec{B}_2=B_0 \left( -\frac{1}{2}\cos \omega t+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin \omega t \right) \left( \frac{1}{2}\hat{x}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \hat{z} \right)$$
and similar expressions for the other two fields. Adding all three gave the desired result.

Likes diredragon
kuruman said:
You have made a mistake somewhere in your algebra. It pays to be systematic and use a single symbol for a whole bunch of constants that are common to all terms. For example, I rewrote ##B_1 = \frac{\sqrt2μ_0I\sqrt2\cos {\omega t}}{\pi a}## as ##B_1 = B_0 \cos \omega t## where ##B_0 = \frac{\sqrt2 μ_0I\sqrt2}{\pi a}## and the same with the other two. I then used the identity ##\cos(a+b)=\cos a ~\cos b-\sin a~\sin b## to get rid of the ##2\pi/3## phases and have terms in ##\cos \omega t## multiplied by factors like ##\pm \frac{1}{2}## or ##\pm \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##. Finally, I noted that a given field is parallel (in the clockwise direction) to the triangle side opposite to the wire that generates it. This allowed me to write unit vectors for each field. For example, I found that
$$\vec{B}_2=B_0 \left( -\frac{1}{2}\cos \omega t+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin \omega t \right) \left( \frac{1}{2}\hat{x}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \hat{z} \right)$$
and similar expressions for the other two fields. Adding all three gave the desired result.
Yup, that gave the correct result. Thank you for that clarification.

1. How do you calculate magnetic induction in a triangle?

The formula for calculating magnetic induction in a triangle is B = μ0 * I * (sinθ1 + sinθ2 + sinθ3)/a, where B is the magnetic induction, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, θ1, θ2, and θ3 are the angles of the triangle, and a is the length of the side of the triangle.

2. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a particular point in space. It is represented by the letter B and is measured in teslas (T).

3. How do the angles of a triangle affect magnetic induction?

The angles of a triangle affect the magnetic induction by determining the direction and strength of the magnetic field at a particular point. The sum of the sine of each angle in the triangle affects the overall strength of the magnetic field at that point.

4. What is the significance of the permeability of free space in calculating magnetic induction?

The permeability of free space, represented by the symbol μ0, is a physical constant that relates the strength of the magnetic field to the electric current that creates it. It is necessary in the formula for calculating magnetic induction to account for the influence of the current on the magnetic field.

5. Can magnetic induction be negative?

Yes, magnetic induction can be negative. This means that the direction of the magnetic field is opposite to the direction indicated by the right-hand rule. Negative magnetic induction can occur in certain situations, such as when the electric current is flowing in the opposite direction or when the magnetic field is being generated by a magnet with reversed polarity.