How Does Friction Impact Bobsled Acceleration?

In summary, the maximum mass for a four-man bobsled in the men's event at the winter olympics is 630 kg. During a practice run, the rear rider and brakeman exert forces of 1220N and 1200N [forward] respectively to accelerate the bobsled, pilot, and forward rider (who have already gotten into the sled). The total mass is 420kg and the net force is 1990N [forward]. After dividing the force by the mass, the average acceleration is found to be 4.7m/s^2 [forward]. However, the book lists the correct answer as 4.4m/s^2 [forward]. It is important to draw a clear
Balsam

Homework Statement

In the men's four-man bobsled event in the winter olympics, the maximum mas of a bobsled with pilot, two riders, and a brakeman is 630 kg. During a practice run, the rear rider and the brakeman exert average forces of 1220N and 1200N [forward] respectively to accelerate a bobsled of mass 225kg, a pilot of mass 98 kg, and a forward rider of mass 97 kg(who have already gotten into the sled). Then they jump in for the challenging ride down the 1300m course. During the pushing, the magnitude of the force of friction acting on the bobsled is 430N. Calculate the average acceleration of the bobsled, pilot, and the forward rider.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I added all the masses and got m=420kg. I added all the forces and got Fnet= 1990N[forward]. But, when I divided the force by the mass, I got a=4.7m/s^2[forward]. The answer in the book is 4.4 m/s^2[forward]. I don't know where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always a mistake not to draw a picture. In this case, make it a good free body diagram.

Formula roulette is, well, risky.

Likes Mondayman

1. What is the Bobsled Forces Problem?

The Bobsled Forces Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a bobsled as it goes down a track.

2. What forces affect a bobsled?

The main forces that affect a bobsled are gravity, air resistance, and the force from the track pushing back on the bobsled.

3. How do you calculate the forces on a bobsled?

To calculate the forces on a bobsled, you need to use the laws of motion and apply them to the specific situation of the bobsled going down the track. This involves determining the acceleration, mass, and other relevant variables.

4. How do the forces on a bobsled change during the run?

The forces on a bobsled change throughout the run as the bobsled moves along the track. Initially, the bobsled experiences a high amount of gravitational force and minimal air resistance. As it gains speed, air resistance increases and becomes a significant force. At the end of the run, the force from the track pushing back on the bobsled becomes the dominant force.

5. Why is understanding the Bobsled Forces Problem important?

Understanding the Bobsled Forces Problem is crucial for designing and optimizing bobsled tracks and equipment. It also helps bobsled teams strategize and make adjustments during a race to improve their performance and speed.