Bode phase plots and initial angles of transfer functions

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of figuring out the initial phase or angle of a transfer function, specifically for the function L(s) = 4/s(.4s+1)(s+2). The question is whether there is a simple trick for determining this angle for any transfer function. Some thoughts are shared on how to approach this, such as considering the complex numbers in the denominator and their angles as s approaches jω.
vysero
Hello everyone. So I have a test coming up and I am struggling with the concept of figure out what the initial phase or angle of a transfer function is. For instance, consider the following transfer function:

L(s) = 4/s(.4s+1)(s+2)

So the initial angle for L(s) is -90 degrees. Is there a simple trick for figuring that out given any transfer function? I have heard that if there is a negative in the numerator then you add 180 degrees of phase or depending on the degree of the denominator you would subtract phase.

Can someone help me sort this out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
vysero said:
Is there a simple trick for figuring that out given any transfer function?
I assume you mean this function:
L(s) = 4/(s(.4s+1)(s+2))

Some thoughts to help you get to the answer:

Say you have two complex numbers z1 and z2, what is arg(z1 z2) and arg(z1/z2) in terms of arg(z1) and arg(z2)?

What happens to the angle of each factor in the denominator as s = jω, ω → 0?

1. What is a Bode phase plot?

A Bode phase plot is a graphical representation of the phase shift of a transfer function as a function of frequency. It is used to analyze the stability and performance of a system.

2. How is a Bode phase plot different from a Bode magnitude plot?

While a Bode magnitude plot shows the magnitude (amplitude) response of a transfer function, a Bode phase plot shows the phase response. Both plots are important in the analysis of a system's frequency response.

3. What do the horizontal axis and vertical axis represent in a Bode phase plot?

The horizontal axis represents frequency in logarithmic scale, while the vertical axis represents the phase shift in degrees. The phase shift is usually plotted between -180 and 180 degrees.

4. How do initial angles affect the Bode phase plot of a transfer function?

The initial angle of a transfer function is the phase shift at very low frequencies. It determines the starting point of the Bode phase plot. A transfer function with a positive initial angle will have a phase plot that starts at a positive value, while a transfer function with a negative initial angle will start at a negative value.

5. How does the Bode phase plot help in the design of control systems?

The Bode phase plot provides important information about the stability and performance of a system at different frequencies. It helps in identifying the frequency range where the system is most responsive and allows for the design of control systems to achieve desired performance and stability.