How to determine gain and phase margins for a transfer function?

In summary, the conversation discussed determining gain and phase margins for a given transfer function using Bode plots. The steps to get started were also provided, including calculating the function as a function of w and determining the amplitude and phase. The definition of phase margin was also mentioned and the importance of this concept was emphasized.
annas425
How would I determine gain and phase margins for the following transfer function:

G(s) = (0.38(s^2 + 0.1s +0.55)) / (s(s+1)(s^2 + 0.6s + 0.5))

We are learning about Bode plots but I am really struggling. I know that Bode plots display the relationship between magnitude vs. frequency and phase angle vs. frequency, but that's about it. I also know that s = iw (where w is \omega). Thank you so much, in advance! I am REALLY lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
You simply need to calculate this function as a function of w and determine the amplitude and the phase.
The phase is defined up to an indeterminacy of 2Pi.
Therefore, you might see 2Pi phase jumps in the graph.
Eventually you may find it nicer to smooth out these jumps.

maajdl said:
You simply need to calculate this function as a function of w and determine the amplitude and the phase.
The phase is defined up to an indeterminacy of 2Pi.
Therefore, you might see 2Pi phase jumps in the graph.
Eventually you may find it nicer to smooth out these jumps.

Thanks for the response! Honestly I don't understand what you mean…is there any way you could give me the steps to get started?

Many thanks! :)

For example, for w=1, you get:

G(i w) = -0.02024590163934427 - 0.1572950819672131 i = 0.15859268376650384 Exp(-1.6988053854680936 i)

the amplitude is 0.15859268376650384
the phase is -1.6988053854680936 = -0.54074654889676 Pi

And you need a definition (I don't know this terminoogy):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_margin

Last edited:
Nicer in this way:

for w=1

G(iw) = -247/12200 - 1919/12200 i

and therefore

amplitude(G(iw)) = sqrt((247/12200)² + (1919/12200)²) = 19/20 Sqrt(17/610)
phase(G(iw)) = arctan(1919/247) = arctan(101/13)

Make a plot as a function of w, for amplitude and phase.
I checked, there is no phase jumps.

the phase margin is your phase + 180 degrees at the point when your gain is 0 db or 1 magnitude.

so look on your bode plot where the gain crosses over 0 db. then look at your phase at the same frequency and add 180. Phase margin is an extremely important concept to learn.

1. What is gain margin and how is it calculated?

Gain margin is a measure of how close a system is to becoming unstable. It is calculated by finding the gain at the frequency where the phase of the transfer function is -180 degrees.

2. How is phase margin related to stability?

Phase margin is a measure of how much phase margin a system has before becoming unstable. A higher phase margin indicates a more stable system.

3. What is the significance of determining gain and phase margins?

Determining gain and phase margins allows for an understanding of the stability of a system, which is crucial in many engineering applications. It also helps in the design and tuning of control systems.

4. Can gain and phase margins be negative?

Yes, gain and phase margins can be negative. This indicates that the system is unstable and needs to be further analyzed and adjusted for stability.

5. Are there any limitations to using gain and phase margins to determine stability?

Yes, gain and phase margins only provide a rough estimate of stability and do not take into account other factors such as noise, nonlinearities, and disturbances. It is important to also consider other methods of stability analysis for a more comprehensive understanding of a system's stability.