Bode plot and stability margins

In summary, the stability margins indicate how well the crossover frequency and gain margins match, and if they don't match, then the crossover frequency needs to be adjusted.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-11-14_17-45-51.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, In part (b), I found ##k_{cu} = 0.5##. I found in part (d) a controller gain of ##k_{c} = -0.3## yielded a diverging output. Here are the bode plots for parts (a),(c), and (d). I don't understand how I should use the "stability margins" which are the dots on the plots for part (e) in order to determine ##k_{cu}## without ziegler-nichols tuning.
upload_2015-11-14_17-46-59.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis - at first, are you familiar with the definition of stabiliy margins (phase resp. gain margin) ?

I know the gain margin is the inverse of the amplitude ratio at the crossover frequency (the frequency at which ##\phi = -180^{o}##), ##GM = 1/AR_{co}## and the phase margin is the phase angle at which ##g_{c}g_{p} = 1##. ##PM = \phi_{pm} + 180^{o}##

Admittedly I hadn't read this section in my textbook prior to posting this question, so I see I can use those dots to identify my crossover frequency and gain margins.

I think it doesn't make any sense to use the bode plot of ##g_{cu}*g_{p}## to find ##k_{cu}##, I should use the bode plot of ##g_{p}## and use those stability margins to determine ##k_{cu}##? And compare with what I determined it to be by playing with simulink to be ##k_{cu} = 0.5##

Here is a bode plot for just the transfer function ##g_{p}##
upload_2015-11-15_19-49-23.png

The phase margin is -31.8 degrees at 0.777 rad/s, and the gain margin is -6.21 dB at 0.633 rad/s. With this information, I'm not sure how to determine what ##k_{cu}## should be.

Last edited:
If you reduce the gain the cross-over frequency will be shifted to smaller values (the phase response remains the same).
And - as a consequence - the phase margin will increase. I think, that`s what the green curve in the first diagram shows.

How can I use this information to find ##k_{cu}##?

Never mind, you just find the value that will give zero phase and gain margin

1. What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of a system's frequency response. It shows how a system responds to different input frequencies, and is made up of two plots - one for magnitude and one for phase.

2. How do I interpret a Bode plot?

The magnitude plot shows the amplitude response of the system, while the phase plot shows the phase response. The frequency at which the magnitude plot crosses 0 dB is known as the system's gain crossover frequency, and the frequency at which the phase plot crosses -180 degrees is known as the phase crossover frequency.

3. What are stability margins on a Bode plot?

Stability margins on a Bode plot are measures of a system's stability and how close it is to becoming unstable. The two main stability margins are gain margin and phase margin. Gain margin is the amount of gain a system can have before becoming unstable, while phase margin is the amount of phase shift a system can have before becoming unstable.

4. How do I calculate stability margins from a Bode plot?

To calculate gain margin, you can read the value of the gain crossover frequency on the magnitude plot and then find the corresponding value on the phase plot. The difference between the two values is the gain margin. To calculate phase margin, you can read the value of the phase crossover frequency on the phase plot and then find the corresponding value on the magnitude plot. The difference between the two values is the phase margin.

5. How can I use Bode plots and stability margins for system design?

Bode plots and stability margins are useful for system design because they allow you to analyze and optimize the stability and performance of a system. By adjusting the system's parameters, such as gain and phase, you can ensure that the system remains stable and meets your desired performance specifications.