Bohmian Mechanics meets Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory?

In summary, the article sounds like it might be a call to arms for many, but it's important to be skeptical before accepting this theory at face value.
nosepot
Yes, the title of this thread has sounded the crackpot alarm! Anyway, I'm curious for your thoughts and suggested readings...

As background, I've learned that Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory is a valid alternate for Einstein's Special Relativity. This ether is undetectable, but does in imply a universal preferred frame and absolute time. That's probably a call to arms for many, but please keep reading.

I also recently learned that magnetism is just an illusion caused by the distortion of the Coulomb field around moving charge! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_electromagnetism#The_origin_of_magnetic_forces) They didn't tell me that in school. This was a revelation for me. So, there is some Coulomb force field propagating away from charge at the speed of light (and I believe through some unknowable ether). Makes me wonder if particles are just purely waves, in the actual sense, not in the standard probablistic sense.

As I continued to meander through the internet, I discovered recently the Bohmian Mechanics theory of Quantum Physics. In particular, fluid analogy the videos on this site are inspiring: http://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20140624-fluid-tests-hint-at-concrete-quantum-reality/ . I'm not sure I can swallow how literal the wave-particle duality is taken here, but the idea of waves deterministically propagating away from the centre of the 'particle' is intutively appealing, and seems to clear up some of quantum mechanics' weirdness (for me).

My question is, would a combination of Bohmian-like mechanics (particles are deterministic waves) and Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory (absolute time in a preferred frame) reconcile with existing evidence for quantum mechanics?

For example, understanding engtanglement seems to become trivial when we think that entangled particles have actual correlated state. It is not the superposition of states concept of probabilistic quantum mechanics which makes these measurements problematic to explain?

It also trivially explains the famous double slit experiments. The Coulomb wave radiating from the particle goes through both slits, but the concentrated centre of this particle goes through one slit. I expect the disappearance of the interference pattern when measuring one slit is due to perturbation during measurement (don't know much about this).

Sorry for the diatribe. Hopefully you can point me to some interesting reading on these topics. Thanks.

[edited for spelling and grammar]

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
The article you linked to by Wolchover is misleading, poorly written and highly inaccurate. See Tim Maudlin's accurate remarks in the comments section following the article.

Bohmian Mechanics is compatible with quantum mechanics if relativity is not exact.

Whether Bohmian Mechanics is compatible with quantum mechanics if relativity is exact is unknown, and currently being researched, as discussed by eg:
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0607124
http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3226
http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.1714

Last edited:
Thank you for the references, atyy.

For example, understanding entanglement seems to become trivial when we think that entangled particles have actual correlated state. It is not the superposition of states concept of probabilistic quantum mechanics which makes these measurements problematic to explain?

The only way you can explain the results of measurements on entangled particles in terms of "actual correlated state" is if the actual state of one particle is set at the moment that the other particle is measured. Google for "Bertlemann's Socks" and "Bell's Theorem".

Last edited:
Closed under the personal theory rule.
Questions about Bohmian mechanics (as opposed to a personal "Bohmian-like" theory) would be OK.

The PF policy on discussion of Lorentz Ether Theory is https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-pfs-policy-on-lorentz-ether-theory-and-block-universe.772224/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Bohmian Mechanics?

Bohmian Mechanics, also known as the de Broglie-Bohm theory, is a quantum mechanical interpretation that proposes the existence of a hidden variable that determines the position of particles in addition to the wave function. This theory was developed by physicist David Bohm in 1952.

2. What is Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory?

Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory, also known as Lorentz Ether Theory, is a modification of classical electromagnetism that suggests the existence of an ether medium through which electromagnetic waves propagate. This theory was proposed by Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and has been further developed by modern physicists.

3. How do Bohmian Mechanics and Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory intersect?

Bohmian Mechanics and Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory intersect in their common belief in the existence of a hidden variable or ether medium that influences the behavior of particles and electromagnetic waves. This intersection has led to the development of a combined theory known as "Bohmian Mechanics meets Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory."

4. What are the implications of this combined theory?

The implications of "Bohmian Mechanics meets Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory" are still being explored and debated within the scientific community. Some suggest that it could potentially provide a more complete understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality. Others argue that it may be unnecessary and overly complex.

5. Has this combined theory been experimentally tested?

There have been some experimental studies and simulations conducted to test the predictions of "Bohmian Mechanics meets Neo-Lorentzian Ether Theory." However, the results have been inconclusive and further research and experimentation are needed to fully test the validity and implications of this theory.