Relativistic Bohmian trajectories of photons via weak measurements

In summary: But to clarify, I'll rewrite my comment:"The use of 'if' suggests that there is a possibility that the Bohmian interpretation is wrong, while the use of 'though' implies that the interpretation is definitely wrong."In summary, a new approach for constructing relativistic Bohmian-type velocity fields of single particles has been proposed, using weak measurements of the particle's momentum and energy. This approach has been applied to obtain the relativistic spacetime trajectories of photons in a Michelson-Sagnac interferometer, satisfying quantum-mechanical continuity and the relativistic velocity addition rule. Additionally, a modified Alcubierre metric has been proposed to explain these trajectories within the framework of general relativity. This approach makes Bohmian trajectories
atyy
Science Advisor
I found out about this interesting paper through a Tweet by Steven Thomson.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2108.05169
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31608-6
Relativistic Bohmian trajectories of photons via weak measurements
Joshua Foo, Estelle Asmodelle, Austin P. Lund, Timothy C. Ralph
Bohmian mechanics is a nonlocal hidden-variable interpretation of quantum theory which predicts that particles follow deterministic trajectories in spacetime. Historically, the study of Bohmian trajectories has mainly been restricted to nonrelativistic regimes due to the widely held belief that the theory is incompatible with special relativity. Here, we present an approach for constructing the relativistic Bohmian-type velocity field of single particles. The advantage of our proposal is that it is operational in nature, grounded in weak measurements of the particle’s momentum and energy. We apply our weak measurement formalism to obtain the relativistic spacetime trajectories of photons in a Michelson–Sagnac interferometer. The trajectories satisfy quantum-mechanical continuity and the relativistic velocity addition rule. We propose a modified Alcubierre metric which could give rise to these trajectories within the paradigm of general relativity.

Likes Killtech, gentzen and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Weak measurement makes Bohmian trajectories measurable even if Bohmian interpretation is wrong. :smile:

Likes atyy
Demystifier said:
Weak measurement makes Bohmian trajectories measurable even if Bohmian interpretation is wrong. :smile:
What do you mean by "if"?

• Haha
Likes Demystifier
martinbn said:
What do you mean by "if"?
I mean "though some people may think that". :-p

Demystifier said:
I mean "though some people may think that". :-p
What I meant was that you misspelled "if". In your first post it should be spelled "though".

• Haha
Likes atyy
martinbn said:
What I meant was that you misspelled "if". In your first post it should be spelled "though".
That's a difference between American and British spelling.

Likes gentzen
Demystifier said:
That's a difference between American and British spelling.
It's not a spelling difference.

"Weak measurement makes Bohmian trajectories measurable even if the Bohmian interpretation is wrong." means BM may be wrong.

"Weak measurement makes Bohmian trajectories measurable even though the Bohmian interpretation is wrong." means BM is wrong.

Likes mattt and martinbn
atyy said:

"Weak measurement makes Bohmian trajectories measurable even if the Bohmian interpretation is wrong." means BM may be wrong.

"Weak measurement makes Bohmian trajectories measurable even though the Bohmian interpretation is wrong." means BM is wrong.
Yes, that was the idea of the joke, but it didn't work.

martinbn said:
Yes, that was the idea of the joke, but it didn't work.
It worked, but my counter-joke didn't. :oldbiggrin:

Likes atyy and gentzen
atyy said:
I thought it was obvious that I was kidding.

Likes atyy

1. What is the concept of "Relativistic Bohmian trajectories"?

"Relativistic Bohmian trajectories" refer to a theoretical framework proposed by physicist David Bohm in the 1950s, which combines elements of both relativity and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles. In this framework, particles have well-defined positions and trajectories, but also exhibit wave-like behavior. This theory is still being explored and debated by scientists.

2. What is the role of weak measurements in understanding relativistic Bohmian trajectories of photons?

Weak measurements are used to track the trajectories of photons in the relativistic Bohmian framework. These measurements are "weak" in the sense that they do not significantly disturb the particles being measured, allowing for a more accurate determination of their trajectories. This approach has been used to study the behavior of photons in various experiments.

3. How do relativistic Bohmian trajectories differ from classical trajectories?

In classical physics, particles have well-defined positions and velocities, and their trajectories can be predicted with certainty. In the relativistic Bohmian framework, particles also have well-defined positions, but their trajectories are influenced by a "quantum potential" that takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles. This leads to some differences in the predicted trajectories compared to classical physics.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding relativistic Bohmian trajectories of photons?

Understanding relativistic Bohmian trajectories of photons can have implications for various fields, such as quantum computing and communication. It can also shed light on the fundamental nature of particles and the relationship between quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. What are some current challenges in studying relativistic Bohmian trajectories of photons?

One of the main challenges in studying relativistic Bohmian trajectories of photons is the lack of experimental evidence to support or refute this theory. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and debates surrounding the interpretation and implications of this framework. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the behavior of particles in this theoretical framework.