Bohr frequency of an expectation value?

In summary, the conversation discusses a two-state system with a Hamiltonian and another observable, A. The initial state of the system is given and the question asks for the frequency of oscillation of the expectation value of A. The solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A, choosing the eigenvector corresponding to the larger eigenvalue as the initial state, and calculating the time evolution. The resulting expectation value reveals the Bohr frequency as (E2-E1)/hbar.
vector

Homework Statement

Consider a two-state system with a Hamiltonian defined as

\begin{bmatrix}
E_1 &0 \\
0 & E_2
\end{bmatrix}

Another observable, ##A##, is given (in the same basis) by

\begin{bmatrix}
0 &a \\
a & 0
\end{bmatrix}

where ##a\in\mathbb{R}^+##.

The initial state of the system is ##\lvert\psi(0)\rangle = \lvert a_1\rangle##, where ##\lvert a_1\rangle## is the eigenstate corresponding to the larger of the two possible eigenvalues of ##A##. What is the frequency of oscillation (the Bohr frequency) of the expectation value of ##A##?

Homework Equations

Equations for finding an expectation value?

The Attempt at a Solution

I expressed ##\lvert\psi(0)\rangle = \alpha_1 \lvert E_1\rangle + \alpha_2 \lvert E_2\rangle##, and so ##\lvert\psi(t)\rangle = \alpha_1 e^{-iE_1 t/\hslash} \lvert E_1\rangle + \alpha_2 e^{-iE_2t/\hslash}\lvert E_2\rangle##.

Do I now need to find the expectation value of ##A## and then see what is in an exponent defined in terms of the difference of ##E_1## and ##E_2##? But what is the use of the fact that ##a_1## is the larger eigenvalues of the two?

I'm lost here, as I don't understand what this question actually means. I'd appreciate if someone could please clarify, preferably in detail, what one is supposed to do to solve this problem, and the exact meaning of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenvectors of ##A##. Then choose the eigenvector of the larger eigenvalue of ##A## to be ##|\psi(0)\rangle## and calculate its time evolution.

I've calculated the eigenvector corresponding to ##a_1## to be ##1/\sqrt{2} (1, 1)##, so I think ##\lvert \psi(0) \rangle = 1/\sqrt{2} ( \lvert E_1 \rangle + \lvert E_2 \rangle)##. So the expectation value appears to be ##1/2 (E_1+E_2)##. But how can we read the Bohr frequency from here?

You've written down the expectation value of ##H##. You're being asked to calculate ##\langle \psi(t) \lvert A \rvert \psi(t)\rangle##.

Thanks, I managed to do the question. The Bohr frequency turned out to be ##\frac{E_2-E_1}{\hbar}##, if I was correct.

vector said:
Thanks, I managed to do the question. The Bohr frequency turned out to be ##\frac{E_2-E_1}{\hbar}##, if I was correct.
Yes.

1. What is the Bohr frequency of an expectation value?

The Bohr frequency of an expectation value refers to the frequency at which an observable quantity, such as position or momentum, is expected to occur in a quantum system. It is named after Danish physicist Niels Bohr, who developed the concept of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Bohr frequency of an expectation value calculated?

The Bohr frequency of an expectation value can be calculated using the equation f = E/h, where f is the frequency, E is the energy of the system, and h is Planck's constant. This equation is based on the principle that the energy of a quantum system is quantized, meaning it can only exist at certain discrete values.

3. What is the significance of the Bohr frequency of an expectation value?

The Bohr frequency of an expectation value is significant because it demonstrates the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It shows that the position or momentum of a particle in a quantum system cannot be known with certainty, but rather is described by a probability distribution.

4. How does the Bohr frequency of an expectation value relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Bohr frequency of an expectation value is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. The uncertainty in the position of a particle is inversely proportional to the uncertainty in its momentum, as described by the equation ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π. This principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is closely related to the concept of the Bohr frequency of an expectation value.

5. How is the Bohr frequency of an expectation value used in practical applications?

The Bohr frequency of an expectation value has many practical applications, particularly in quantum computing and cryptography. It is also used in fields such as chemistry and materials science to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules at the quantum level. In addition, it is a fundamental concept in the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and quantum communication devices.