Bohr Model applied to Excitons

In summary: D) Gravity can be ignored because qE/m is much larger than g.In summary, the radius of an exciton in silicon is 4.2 nm, the binding energy is 212 keV, and the distance between atoms is 0.235 nm.
adamaero
An exciton is a bound electron-hole pair (in a semiconductor). For this problem, think of an exciton as a hydrogen-like atom, with a negatively charged electron and positively charged hole orbiting each other.

The permittivity of free space (ε0) is replaced with permittivity of the semiconductor (ε = 12).
The mass of the electron is replaced with the effective mass of the electron-hole pair.

1. Homework Statement (bold below is what I really need help on)

A) Estimate the radius in nm and the ground state energy in eV for an exciton in Si.

B) Approximately how large is the separation between atoms in a crystal of silicon? How does the radius compare with this number?

C) Silicon atoms have an average kinetic energy of T*kB. How does the exciton binding energy (E1) compare with this number? What does this mean?

D) All this is about electrostatic potential energy. Prove that it's reasonable to neglect the gravitational potential energy.

me = 9.1*10-31
eV = 1.602×10−19 J (N*m)
h = 6.626*10-34
ħ = 1.055*10-34
a0 = 0.0529 nm
ε*ε0 = 1.0359*10-10

permittivity of silicon = εSi = kSiε0 where k = dielectric constant

effective masses
me* = 0.26me
mh* = 0.36me

Homework Equations

r = mek2e4/(πħ3)

me*mh*/(me* + mh*) = 0.15me

r = n2h2*1.0359*10-10/(z*π*meffectivee2)

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
upload_2016-10-22_10-2-33.png

12*a0/0.15 = 4.2nm (n2/z)

upload_2016-10-22_10-3-17.png

Ry = -13.6eV

B) I do not remember chemistry much. How is the separation between silicon atoms found?

C) 300*1.38*10-23 m2kg/s2 = 4.14*10-23
E1 = ?

D) PEelectrostatic = kqQ/r
images.slideplayer.com/22/6421287/slides/slide_3.jpg
FE = qE
Fg = mg
∴ qE = mg
& as long as qE/m is much larger than g, gravity can be ignored.

Sources
http://www.course-notes.org/book/export/html/10891
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Exciton_energy_levels.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
adamaero said:
Ry = -13.6eV
You get the same Rydberg constant as for hydrogen?

adamaero said:
B) I do not remember chemistry much. How is the separation between silicon atoms found?

Google :smile: There is no way to find that by first principles, so just Google "silicon interatomic distance".

adamaero said:
C) 300*1.38*10-23 m2kg/s2 = 4.14*10-23
E1 = ?
That should be the binding energy. Do you remember how to find that for hydrogen?

Likes adamaero
Oh yes, sorry, with ε:
The energy (for part A) is mee4/[8(h*1.0359*10-10)2]
= (9.1*10^-31)(e^4)/[8*((6.626*10^-34)*(1.0359*10^-10))^2]
= 1.32*1057
Was that suppose to be a different mass?

Thank you. I did Google it. Although, I either searched the wrong phrase or thought it wasn't simple from the results that came up earlier.
atomic radius = 0.132 nm
lattice parameter = 0.543 nm
nearest neighbor distance = 0.235 nm
Looks like the calculation before (4.2 nm) is wrong?

The binding energy of an electron to the nucleus in the hydrogen atom is 13.6 eV.
So the binding energy is the absolute value of Rydberg energy??

BE=(mp+me-mH)*c2
BE = (938MeV/c2 + 0.511MeV/c2 - 938.3MeV/c2)*c2 =
(938.484+ 0.511 - 938.783)*10^6
= 212keV

938.783 MeV (mass of hydrogen)
1.673e-27 kg (mass of proton)
>> 1 eV = 1.602e-19 J <<
>> 1 J = m3 kg / s2 <<
[(1.673e-27)/(1.602e-19)]*c2
= 9.3989e8
= 939.89e6
= 939.89 MeV

sol.

A) The 4.2nm (n2/z) is correct. The energy is found this way: E = m*e4/(8h2ε2), but
B) 0.235 nm or 0.543 nm means that there are multiple atoms in-between each
C) This is the same E1, but can be modified from more general E1 = me4/(8h2ε02) = -13.6 eV... E = E1*(mT/m)/[(ε/ε0)2]

1. What is the Bohr Model and how does it apply to excitons?

The Bohr Model is a simplified atomic model proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to explain the structure of atoms. It states that electrons orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels, and can jump between these levels by absorbing or emitting energy. This model can also be applied to excitons, which are bound states of an electron and a positively charged "hole" in a semiconductor material. Similar to the electron in an atom, the electron in an exciton also occupies specific energy levels and can transition between them.

2. How does the Bohr Model explain the stability of excitons?

The Bohr Model suggests that the electron in an exciton is in a stable orbit around the positively charged hole, similar to how an electron orbits the nucleus in an atom. This stability is maintained by the balance between the attractive Coulomb force between the electron and the hole, and the centrifugal force of the electron's orbit. As long as this balance is maintained, the exciton remains stable.

3. Can the Bohr Model predict the energy levels of excitons?

Yes, the Bohr Model can be used to predict the energy levels of excitons by using the same equation used for predicting the energy levels of electrons in atoms. The energy of an exciton is determined by the negative of the product of the charge of the electron, the charge of the hole, and the square of the fundamental charge, divided by 4πε0εrr, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material, and r is the radius of the exciton's orbit.

4. How does the Bohr Model explain the absorption and emission of light by excitons?

The Bohr Model states that when an electron in an exciton absorbs energy, it jumps from a lower energy level to a higher one. This causes the exciton to become "excited". Similarly, when the electron transitions back to a lower energy level, it emits energy in the form of light. This energy is emitted at specific wavelengths, depending on the energy difference between the two levels, which can be calculated using the Bohr Model's equation for energy levels.

5. Are there any limitations to the Bohr Model when applied to excitons?

Yes, the Bohr Model has some limitations when applied to excitons. It assumes that the electron and hole are point particles and does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics. Additionally, it cannot fully explain the behavior of excitons in materials with multiple energy bands or in the presence of external fields. More advanced models, such as the quantum mechanical model, are needed to accurately describe and predict the behavior of excitons in these scenarios.