Find the binding energy of hydrogen

In summary: In summary, to calculate the mass corresponding to the binding energy of a hydrogen atom, we can use the equation BE=(mp+me-mH)c2, where BE is the binding energy, mp is the mass of a proton, me is the mass of an electron, and mH is the mass of a hydrogen atom. The mass of a hydrogen atom can be found by using the "Isotope mass" of Hydrogen 1, which is 1.0078250321(4)u. After converting to MeV and taking into account the error bars, we can estimate the binding energy to be 938.782999(23) MeV. This value may vary slightly depending on the source of
warfreak131

Homework Statement

Calculate the mass corresponding to the binding energy of an H atom. What fraction of the
mass of the atom is this?

Homework Equations

BE=(mp+me-mH)c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't figure this one out, so I searched for the answer online, and it's supposed to be 13.6 eV, but no matter what I do, none of my answers come even close to that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear what there is to be confused about. Take the mass of the hydrogen atom and you'll see it's less than the sum of the free masses of a proton and a neutron. The difference between the composite and its components is the mass-energy of the binding. Multiply by c^2 to get it in units of energy.

ok, maybe I am using incorrect numbers, i have the mass of a proton as 1.6726*10-27 g

and the mass of a neutron is 1.6749*10-27 g. What exactly is the mass of a hydrogen atom?

okay, according to wikipedia, the "standard atomic mass" of hydrogen is 1.67492577 × 10-24 grams.

Hydrogen has 1 proton, no neutrons, and 1 electron. The book only says hydrogen atom, not deuterium or tritium, so i have to assume it means no neutrons.

This means that BE=(mp+me-mH)c2

BE=(1.6726*10-24 g + 9.1093*10-28 g - 1.6749*10-24 g)(3*1010)2

This equals -1.25016*10-6 ergs, or -780 288 eV

anyone? anyone? what am i doing wrong here!?

I noticed some discrepancies between masses from various online sources, even page to page on wikipedia. The latest best values (as of 2006) are at:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/index.html"

m_p = 1.672 621 637(83) x 10-27 kg
m_e =9.109 382 15(45) x 10-31 kg

the atomic mass unit: u=1.660 538 782(83) x 10-27 kg

all except for the hydrogen mass. Here you have to be very careful as some values are averaged over percentage of naturally occurring isotopes. So with hydrogen the standard number is a bit high due to the small percentage of deuterium in common hydrogen.

Here's the atomic mass of 1H (Protium) of:
m_H=1.0078250321(4)u
(from the 2001-2002 CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 82nd Ed., p. 1-15.)

That comes to:
m_H= 938.782999(23) MeV

EDIT: or 1.673 532 551(84) x 10^-27 kg. Compare with the value you have!

It is simplest to convert to MeV and look up the mass energy equivalents of m_e and m_p.

But you need to carry through the error bars in each quantity as well as in the conversion factors. I worked it out and got a value with error larger than the value so it gives at best an order of magnitude boundary for the binding energy.

By the way. The physics.nist.gov website has an energy unit calculator
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Constants/energy.html"
which includes the error factors, very very handy!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you, i appreciate it, ill be sure to check those links out.

Followup...

I found where to get the atomic mass data:
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Elements/index.html"

Click on the element in the periodic table then hit the [isotopic] link under Nuclear Physics Data.

jambaugh said:
Followup...

I found where to get the atomic mass data:
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Elements/index.html"

Click on the element in the periodic table then hit the [isotopic] link under Nuclear Physics Data.

thats a really good site, thank you

warfreak131 said:
okay, according to wikipedia, the "standard atomic mass" of hydrogen is 1.67492577 × 10-24 grams.

"Standard atomic mass" takes all the naturally occurring isotopes, and their relative abundance into consideration. So that's not the number you want to use here.

Instead, try the "Isotope mass" of Hydrogen 1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen-1

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to hold a nucleus together. It is the difference in energy between the separate nucleons (protons and neutrons) and the combined nucleus.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy is calculated using the famous equation E=mc^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass defect (difference in mass between the separate nucleons and the combined nucleus), and c is the speed of light. Other factors such as nuclear forces and Coulomb forces may also be taken into account in more complex calculations.

3. Why is it important to find the binding energy of hydrogen?

The binding energy of hydrogen is important because it provides valuable information about the stability and properties of the nucleus. It also helps us understand the process of nuclear fusion and fission, which are important for energy production and nuclear reactions.

4. What is the binding energy of hydrogen?

The binding energy of hydrogen is approximately 0.0022 atomic mass units (amu), or 2.224 MeV (mega-electron volts). This means that it takes 2.224 MeV of energy to break apart a hydrogen nucleus into its individual protons and neutrons.

5. How does the binding energy of hydrogen compare to other elements?

The binding energy of hydrogen is relatively low compared to other elements, as hydrogen has the simplest and lightest nucleus. Heavier elements have higher binding energies due to the increased number of protons and neutrons, which results in stronger nuclear forces.