Bohr Quantisation Question

In summary, the ionisation energy of a single hydrogen atom is 13.6 eV and the stationary states of the hydrogen atom have discrete energies given by E=-RB/n2, where RB is the Rydberg constant. To determine the value of the Rydberg constant, we can use the equation 1~\textrm{Ry} = hcR_\infty = 13.6~\textrm{eV}. The spectral line of the Balmer series (transition from n=3 to n=2) has a wavelength of 656nm (visible) when using the Rydberg unit of energy. The equation for this is \frac{1}{\lambda} = R_B
craig.16

Homework Statement

The ionisation energy of a single hydrogen atom is 13.6 eV. The application of Bohr quantisation to the hydrogen atom results in the stationary states having discrete energies given in terms of a positive integer n according to

E=-RB/n2

where RB is the Rydberg constant. Determine the value of the Rydberg constant. Assuming like Bohr that, when an atom emits or absorbs radiation, it does so in the form of a single quantum, compute the wavelength of the spectral line of the Balmer series (the transition from n=3 to n=2) for hydrogen.

Homework Equations

E=-RB/n2
[tex]\stackrel{1}{\lambda}[/tex]=RB[[tex]\stackrel{1}{n12}[/tex]-[tex]\stackrel{1}{n22}[/tex]]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok my main issue with this whole question is which value is the Rydberg constant. Is it:
2.18*10-18J or 1.097373157*107m-1 (or both)

If I go with the first value, I can easily obtain that using the first equation as it mentions in the equation "it does so in the form of a single quantum", meaning that n in the equation is equal to 1 and its a simple case of multiplying 13.6 eV by 1.6*10-19 to convert it to joules giving 2.18*10-18J.

For the second part however I cannot get a reasonable answer using this value of the Rydberg constant, only with the second one as shown below:

Using first value:
[tex]\stackrel{1}{\lambda}[/tex]=(2.18*10-18)[[tex]\stackrel{1}{4}[/tex]-[tex]\stackrel{1}{9}[/tex]]
lambda=3.03*10-19m

Using second value:
[tex]\stackrel{1}{\lambda}[/tex]=(1.097373157*107)[[tex]\stackrel{1}{4}[/tex]-[tex]\stackrel{1}{9}[/tex]]
=656nm (visible)

Im guessing that the constant is both values but I've missed a conversion somewhere. Either that or there is something missing in the second equation to amend this issue with using 2.18*10-18J.

Finally, how do you do fractions on this properly because as you can see on my post, its separated each fraction from the equation and has somehow enlarged itself. I haven't used this forum that much so I'm still unsure on things like this.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There's the Rydberg constant, which you found correctly to be

[tex]R_\infty = 1.097\times10^7~\textrm{m}^{-1}[/tex]

and the related Rydberg unit of energy, which is

[tex]1~\textrm{Ry} = hcR_\infty = 13.6~\textrm{eV}[/tex]

Your first equation uses the energy; your second equation uses the Rydberg constant.

To write the equation

[tex]\frac{1}{\lambda} = R_B\left(\frac{1}{n_1^2}-\frac{1}{n_2^2}\right)[/tex]

you'd use the code

Code:
\frac{1}{\lambda} = R_B\left( \frac{1}{n_1^2} - \frac{1}{n_2^2} \right)

sandwiched between the tex tags. You should also be able to right-click on the equation to see the TeX used, though I couldn't get it to work here just now.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining clearly which equation is for which. I just now went through converting the energy to the rydberg constant (per m) and it turns out it was a lot easier than I initially thought. Also I am very grateful for the code you've displayed regarding fractions on here. It turns out I actually used the wrong symbol in the latex reference, but I've found the real fraction symbol now so it's all good.

What is the Bohr Quantisation Question?

The Bohr Quantisation Question refers to a concept in quantum mechanics proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It addresses the issue of how electrons can maintain stable orbits around the nucleus of an atom without continuously emitting energy.

Why is the Bohr Quantisation Question important?

The Bohr Quantisation Question was a major breakthrough in understanding the behavior of atoms and laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics. It also helped to explain the spectral lines observed in the emission spectra of atoms.

What is the answer to the Bohr Quantisation Question?

The answer to the Bohr Quantisation Question is that electrons can only exist in certain discrete energy levels, or orbits, around the nucleus. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they have specific, fixed values and the electron cannot exist in between them.

How does the Bohr Quantisation Question relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Bohr Quantisation Question is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. In the case of electrons, their exact position and energy cannot be simultaneously determined due to their quantized energy levels.

Has the Bohr Quantisation Question been fully resolved?

The Bohr Quantisation Question has been partially resolved through the development of quantum mechanics, but it is still an area of ongoing research and debate. Some aspects, such as the exact mechanisms behind electron transitions between energy levels, are still not fully understood.