Boltzmann Distribution: Solving 1D Ideal Gas Homework

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Boltzmann distribution and mean kinetic energy for a 1 dimensional ideal gas. The solution for the Boltzmann distribution is given as \frac{dn}{n}=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2piKT}}e^{(\frac{-mc^2}{2KT})}, and the question is how to find the constant in this equation. For the mean kinetic energy, the equation \bar{v^2}=\int_0^\infty v^2\frac{dn}{n} dv is used, and the question is how to solve for it. The conversation also touches on the issue of negative velocities and how to define thermal averages.
Tikkelsen

Homework Statement

I have to find the Boltzmann ditribution of a 1 dimensional ideal gas.
The answer is given as:

[itex]\frac{dn}{n}=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2piKT}}e^{(\frac{-mc^2}{2KT})}[/itex]

For the second part I have to find the mean kinetic energy.

2. Homework Equations / Attempt

For part 1:
I know how to work out the Boltzmann distribution for a 3D and 2D gas. However, for a 1D gas, I can't figure out what the constant has to be. I know the form to solve it is:

[itex]\int_0^\infty C e^{(\frac{-mc^2}{2KT})} dv = 1 [/itex] (1)

Where [itex]C[/itex] is a constant.
However, when I do this and solve for [itex]C[/itex], I get a factor of 2 in front of my equation. Is there something wrong in my logic here? Am I meant to use a factor infront of my [itex]C[/itex]

For the second part, I know that I need to get a [itex]v^2[/itex] infront of the exponential, but I cannot figure out how to do this for the 1D case and even for the 3D case.

Any help would be much appreciated and please tell me if I need to clarify anything.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
New progress:

Is it right to say that equation (1) should actually be equal to a half since the probability of the particle being on the positive side of the line is actually a hal and not 1?

1. What do you have against negative velocities? Half the phase space consists of negative velocities...

2. How are thermal averages defined? What is the expression for kinetic energy?

1. It's the speed distribution, so I am looking for the absolute value of the velocity. This crashes my idea of it being equal to a half I realize.

2. [itex] Average KE = \frac{1}{2}m\bar{v^2}[/itex]
I now realize that the equation for [itex]\bar{v^2}[/itex] would be:

[itex]\bar{v^2}=\int_0^\infty v^2\frac{dn}{n} dv [/itex]

Then equate to 1 and solve.

Looking at my OP, I can see that what I said can be a bit confusing, so here is the question.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 423

1. What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a statistical probability distribution that describes the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is based on the concept that particles have a higher probability of occupying lower energy states, according to the Boltzmann factor (e^(-E/kT)). This distribution is used to predict the behavior of ideal gases at different temperatures.

2. How is the Boltzmann distribution used to solve 1D ideal gas homework problems?

The Boltzmann distribution is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state in a 1-dimensional ideal gas system. This probability is then used to determine the average energy, pressure, and other properties of the gas. By applying the Boltzmann distribution to a 1D ideal gas, we can solve problems related to the behavior of gases at different temperatures.

3. What is the formula for the Boltzmann distribution?

The formula for the Boltzmann distribution is P(E) = (1/Z) * e^(-E/kT), where P(E) is the probability of finding a particle in an energy state E, Z is the partition function, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature. This formula can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in any energy state in a system at thermal equilibrium.

4. How do you determine the partition function in the Boltzmann distribution?

The partition function, Z, is a normalization constant in the Boltzmann distribution that ensures the sum of all probabilities equals 1. It is calculated by summing over all possible energy states in the system, using the formula Z = ∑ e^(-E/kT). This calculation can be simplified for 1D ideal gases by integrating over the energy states instead of summing.

5. Can the Boltzmann distribution be applied to real gases?

The Boltzmann distribution is an idealized model that assumes particles in a gas do not interact with each other and are confined to a 1-dimensional container. In reality, gases have volume and particles interact with each other. However, the Boltzmann distribution can still be used as a good approximation for real gases under certain conditions, such as at low pressures and high temperatures.