Boltzmann equation for annihilation

happyparticle
TL;DR Summary
Trying to understand the right hand side of the Boltzmann equation for annihilation for the rate of change in the abundance of a given particle.
In the Dodelson's textbook, the author introduce the Boltzmann equation for annihilation.

##a^{-3} \frac{d(n_1 a)}{dt} = \int \frac{d^3 p_1}{(2 \pi)^3 2E_1} \int \frac{d^3 p_2}{(2 \pi)^3 2E_2} \int \frac{d^3 p_3}{(2 \pi)^3 2E_3} \int \frac{d^3 p_4}{(2 \pi)^3 2E_4} \times (2 \pi)^4 \delta^3 (p_1 + p_2 - p_3 - p_4) \delta (E_1 + E_2 - E_3 - E_4)|M|^2 \times {f_3 f_4[1 \pm f_1] [1 \pm f_2] - f_1 f_2 [1 \pm f_3] [1 \pm f_4]}##

I don't understand the right hand part of the equation. Where all the part comes from? Why ##p_i, f_i## are outside of the integrals? What |M| means? I can't figure out how all the right hand side is related to the rate of change in the abundance of a given particle.

I'm guessing that ##n_i## is the particle density and ##f_i## is the the expected number of particles in an energy state.

Space news on Phys.org
happyparticle said:
Why ##p_i, f_i## are outside of the integrals?
They are not.

happyparticle said:
What |M| means?
That would be the amplitude of the annihilation.

happyparticle said:
I can't figure out how all the right hand side is related to the rate of change in the abundance of a given particle.
Rate of change = production - annihilation

The delta functions ensure energy and momentum conservation. The distribution functions implement rates - including fermi blocking etc. The integrals integrate over all possible states. You are missing parentheses around the f terms.

Likes ohwilleke
Thank you for the explanation.
However, I'm not sure how exactly the delta functions ensure the energy and moment conservation. Also, I don't see why there is a ##(2 \pi)^4## and ##\delta^3##.

I was looking for a full derivation of this equation. Unfortunately, I can't find any. I'm wondering if I'm using the right name for the equation.

The ##\delta^3## is momentum conservation. Try writing out the conditions for the deltas being nob-zero!

The factors of ##2\pi## are for correct normalization.

Orodruin said:
The ##\delta^3## is momentum conservation. Try writing out the conditions for the deltas being nob-zero!
Thus, I have ##\delta(0)^3 = \infty## which give a infinite rate of change. I don't understand.

happyparticle said:
Thus, I have ##\delta(0)^3 = \infty## which give a infinite rate of change. I don't understand.
This is wrong. Do you know how to evaluate the simple 3D integral ##\intop_{\text{All Space}}d^{3}x\,f\left(\vec{x}\right)\delta^{3}\left(\vec{x}-\vec{x}_{0}\right)##?

happyparticle said:
No you don’t. It is inside several integrals over momenta and essentially ensures that the momenta that you integrate over satisfy momentum and energy conservation

Likes weirdoguy