Book Reccomendation? -- The Quantum World-Quantum Physics for Everyone

In summary, the conversation is about a book by Kenneth W. Ford on Quantum Physics and whether it is worth reading for a general understanding of the concepts. The discussion also includes the importance of math in understanding quantum theory and the recommendation of other popular science books on the subject.
timeuntotime
I was wondering if this book by Kenneth W. Ford is worth reading just to get a general idea of some of the concepts of Quantum Physics. Skimming it, it seems fairly understandable, I'm worried about forming misconceptions...If anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check, whether there's enough math in it. If not, save the money and buy a real textbook. It's impossible to understand quantum theory (imho even physics generally) without math. An excellent example with a minimum of math possible is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes smodak and timeuntotime
It is one thing to understand quantum theory (which is what @vanhees71 is talking about) and another to get a general idea of some of the concepts of quantum theory (which is what @timeuntotime is talking about). If one is not good in math and/or is satisfied with achieving only the latter, then a popular-science book without math is not a bad idea.

I haven't seen the book by Ford above, but I can tell that there are good popular books on QM. For instance, I like
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521278023/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes timeuntotime
Thank you both for the suggestions!

1. What is the premise of "The Quantum World-Quantum Physics for Everyone"?

The book aims to introduce readers to the complex concepts of quantum physics in a simple and understandable manner, making it accessible to a wider audience.

2. Who is the author of "The Quantum World-Quantum Physics for Everyone"?

The book is written by renowned physicist and science communicator, Brian Cox, along with Jeff Forshaw.

3. Is "The Quantum World-Quantum Physics for Everyone" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is written for a general audience and does not require any prior knowledge of quantum physics. It breaks down complex ideas into easy-to-understand concepts.

4. What topics are covered in "The Quantum World-Quantum Physics for Everyone"?

The book covers a wide range of topics in quantum physics, including the history of the field, the principles of quantum mechanics, the wave-particle duality, and the applications of quantum physics in our daily lives.

5. What makes "The Quantum World-Quantum Physics for Everyone" different from other books on quantum physics?

The book is known for its engaging and accessible writing style, making it easier for readers to grasp complex concepts. It also includes numerous visual aids, such as diagrams and illustrations, to further aid understanding.