Book recommendations for making guesses, estimates, inferences

In summary, the conversation discussed a book called "Street fighting Mathematics" by Sanjoy Mahaan, which focuses on using educated guessing and opportunistic problem solving techniques to solve math and physics problems. The speaker enjoyed the book and is looking for recommendations for similar books at an undergraduate level. The conversation also mentioned another book by the same author called "Engineering Insights."
Terry Bing
I came across this book 'Street fighting Mathematics, The art of educated guessing and opportunistic problem solving' , by Sanjoy Mahaan, published by MIT press. The book talks about how we can guess some property of the solutions of a number of physics and math problems without actually solving them rigorously, e.g. using dimensional analysis, symmetry in variables, making numerical estimations, etc. I really enjoyed the book (or at least the parts I went through, had numerous insights). Can anyone recommend a similar book, at an undergraduate level? I would like to see more such examples and techniques. Maybe more physics oriented.

Likes kith and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed the book as well. He also did a course by the same name, on edx.org
He wrote another book about Engineering Insights. I have not picked it up, yet.

Likes Terry Bing

1. What are some good books for learning about making guesses and estimates?

One highly recommended book is "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. It delves into the psychology of decision making and how we rely on heuristics and biases to make guesses and estimates.

2. Are there any books specifically about making inferences?

Yes, "The Art of Thinking Clearly" by Rolf Dobelli is a great resource for understanding how to make accurate inferences and avoid common thinking errors.

3. Are there any books that teach how to improve at making guesses and estimates?

"Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction" by Philip E. Tetlock and Dan Gardner is a highly recommended book that explores the methods and strategies of expert forecasters and how we can apply them to our own guesses and estimates.

4. Can you recommend any books on critical thinking and making logical guesses?

"How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff is a classic book that teaches readers how to spot misleading statistics and make more informed and logical guesses and estimates.

5. Are there any books that focus on making guesses and estimates in a business or professional setting?

"Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts" by Annie Duke is a highly recommended book for professionals looking to improve their decision-making skills and make more accurate guesses and estimates in high-pressure situations.