Looking for Good Problem Solving Books? Any Recommendations?

In summary, people think the Zeitz book is difficult to understand and Putnam and Beyond is a better option.
Series
Hi. Can anybody recommend a couple of good problem solving books? I'd like to improve my thinking skills and my natural ability, particularly in physics, but I don't mind if the book focusses on maths.

Also, what do people think of "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz? Is it worth buying?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed Principles of Mathematical Problem Solving by Erickson/Flowers

VeeEight said:
I enjoyed Principles of Mathematical Problem Solving by Erickson/Flowers

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any tips on improving thinking skills and intuition in physics?

I think working on more problems is more fun and enjoyable, but if you have to read a book then How to Solve It by Polya is the classic.

The Zeitz book will probably be pretty difficult unless you are already familiar with contest style problems that involve the basics of high school mathematics.

I think the most fun and best way to learn math and physics is by doing challenging problems that require ingenuity and resourcefulness. Those problems should also illuminate the most important topics as well. A book that does that very well is Putnam and Beyond and a few other math Olympiad books.

Here are the best problem books for physics afaik. They should also prepare you well for the IPO if that is a goal of yours.

Problems in General Physics I.E. Irodov
Physics by Example: 200 Problems and Solutions by W.G. Rees
200 Puzzling Physics Problems by Peter Gnadig
A Guide to Physics Problems, Part 1: Mechanics, Relativity, and Electrodynamics
A Guide to Physics Problems: Part 2: Thermodynamics, Statistical Physics, and Quantum Mechanics

nobody's mentioned larson's problem solving through problems? that's another good one.

abelgalois said:
200 Puzzling Physics Problems by Peter Gnadig

just for fun I looked that one up on google books & found this problem: "A small object is on the edge of a horizontal table. It is pushed in such a way that after 2sec it falls off the other side of the table, which is 1m wide. Does the object have wheels?" :rolleyes:

I guess it's a problem about friction or something but I wouldn't know. Maybe it's just that I'm kind of an outsider but that sounded funny

Last edited:
Hopefully I'll be going to my preferred university and I just wanted to improve my natural ability in maths and physics as this will make my degree easier and so I'd be able to do more stuff at university. Preparing for IPhO is an excellent idea. I'll look into that, thanks.

Related to Looking for Good Problem Solving Books? Any Recommendations?

1. What makes a good problem solving book?

A good problem solving book should provide clear and practical strategies for approaching and solving various types of problems. It should also offer real-life examples and exercises to help readers apply the problem solving techniques.

2. How can a problem solving book help me in my career?

A problem solving book can help you develop critical thinking skills and improve your ability to analyze and solve problems efficiently. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can help you advance in your career.

3. Are there specific types of problems that a problem solving book can help with?

Yes, problem solving books can offer techniques for a wide range of problems, including mathematical, logical, and creative problems. They can also help with decision making and conflict resolution.

4. Can a problem solving book be useful for both individuals and teams?

Yes, a good problem solving book can provide strategies for both individual problem solving and collaborative problem solving within a team. It can also offer tips for effective communication and teamwork during the problem solving process.

5. How can I choose the right problem solving book for me?

When choosing a problem solving book, consider your specific needs and the type of problems you want to improve your skills in. Look for reviews and recommendations, and consider the author's credentials and approach to problem solving. It can also be helpful to browse through the book to get a feel for its content and style.