Book recommendations: Linear algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses various books on linear algebra that have solved problems, rather than just theory. Suggestions include Schaum's Outline of Linear Algebra, Linear Algebra by Friedberg, Ingel, and Spence, Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig, A Book of Abstract Algebra by Pinter, Linear Algebra by Hoffman and Kunze, and Problems in Linear Algebra by Paul Halmos. Some books are recommended for their well-rounded approach, while others have a focus on drill problems. It is also noted that some books may be more suitable for vector spaces, while others may focus on matrix algebra and geometry.
gruba

Homework Statement

What books of completely solved problems (free in pdf) in linear algebra would you suggest?
Please suggest books that have solved problems, and not theory.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I would get an older edition of Linear Algebra by Anton (5 dollars shipped) and Friedberg, Ingel, Spence, "Linear Algebra," (8 dollars shipped). Friedberg is typically used for a second course, but it can be used as an introduction. If it is to hard, refer to Anton.

Likes dsatkas
I really liked Strang's book for a well-rounded approach to the subject.

For sheer number of drill problems, Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig has a section on linear algebra that's one of the better introductions I've seen. I use the 7th edition, which you can get very cheaply off Amazon.

There's also the abstract algebra book by Pinter, A Book of Abstract Algebra, that I recommend because it's easy to read and helps to keep the broader ideas in mind.

jack476 said:
I really liked Strang's book for a well-rounded approach to the subject.

For sheer number of drill problems, Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig has a section on linear algebra that's one of the better introductions I've seen. I use the 7th edition, which you can get very cheaply off Amazon.

There's also the abstract algebra book by Pinter, A Book of Abstract Algebra, that I recommend because it's easy to read and helps to keep the broader ideas in mind.

I found Strang a bit to verbose, great exercises however. This is a love it or hate book. I found Linear Algebra by Friedberg easier to read than Strang.

I strongly recommend the "Linear Algebra" by Hoffman/Kunze for in-depth learning of the topics. I am currently reading this book alongside with Friedberg (required text for my current LA course), and I found that H/K gives more insights and clearer explanations than Friedberg. Two things I do not really like about Friedberg are that the problem sets are quite repetitive and some important theorems and concepts are pushed to the problem sets.

Great resource for the problems is a book called "Problems in Linear Algebra" by Paul Halmos.

I think a lot of people here are missing that the OP specifically asked for a book that was light on theory...

Ah! How about Schaum's Outlines of Linear Algebra? I think Paul Halmos' Problems Book of Linear Algebra work very well too.

bacte2013 said:
Ah! How about Schaum's Outlines of Linear Algebra? I think Paul Halmos' Problems Book of Linear Algebra work very well too.

Depends on what the OP means with linear algebra. You interpret it as vector spaces. The OP might simply have matrix algebra and some geometry in mind.

Speaking of Hoffman and Kunze, and Halmos' Linear Algebra Problem Book, how do those two compare as a main textbook?

SrVishi said:
Speaking of Hoffman and Kunze, and Halmos' Linear Algebra Problem Book, how do those two compare as a main textbook?

Halmos' linear algebra problem book isn't meant as a main textbook. So it's very bad as a main textbook.

Related to Book recommendations: Linear algebra

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of many mathematical concepts and is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

3. What are some good books for learning Linear Algebra?

Some popular books for learning Linear Algebra include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler.

4. Is prior knowledge of mathematics required to understand Linear Algebra?

Prior knowledge of mathematics, particularly algebra and calculus, is helpful but not necessarily required to understand Linear Algebra. Many introductory books on the subject cover all necessary mathematical concepts.

5. How can I apply Linear Algebra in real life?

Linear Algebra can be applied in various real-life scenarios such as image and signal processing, data analysis, machine learning, and optimization problems. It is also used in computer graphics, game development, and cryptography.