Book to learn system administration using CentOS Linux?

In summary, when looking for a book on Linux administration, it is recommended to search on Amazon for up-to-date options with helpful reviews and ratings. While books can be useful as a backup resource, day-to-day administrators often rely on online resources such as man pages and online forums for solutions. However, reading a book alone is not enough to become a skilled systems administrator; practice and hands-on experience are crucial in this field. Many experienced sysadmins also seek out hacker books to further their knowledge and protect their systems.
shivajikobardan
Recommend the best out of the bunch. I am visual learner so book with lots of pics, codes would be immensely useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its hard to recommend one book on this topic as it changes quietly and slowly so some books are 10 years old while the one below is from 2021:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119794455/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Amazon is a good resource to find these books with useful book reviews and ratings.

People involved in day to day Linux admin seldom look through books although they use have a couple in the office as backup when things go sideways.

Here's another popular one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0134277554/?tag=pfamazon01-20

what do they look instead? man pages?

People search for the solution because so much will not be in the books. Thats what I do when I have a Linux issue. Sometimes its hard to describe it but if I have an error message I search on that to find my solution.

Reading a book and becoming a good systems administator is like reading a book and expecting to become a violinist for a symphony orchestra. There is no substitute for practice.,

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Vanadium 50 said:
Reading a book and becoming a good systems administator is like reading a book and expecting to become a violinist for a symphony orchestra. There is no substitute for practice.,
you must practice from somewhere right? nobody is telling either read a book or practice I mean.

Lets not get caught up in the pedantics of learning things. Of course, people start out with some book and then through experience learn things not taught in the book which makes them good systems engineers. Many sysadmins read hacker books to see how its done and to see how they can protect their machines.

1. What is CentOS Linux?

CentOS Linux is a free and open-source operating system based on the popular Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). It is known for its stability, security, and long-term support.

2. What is system administration?

System administration refers to the process of managing and maintaining computer systems, networks, and servers. This includes tasks such as installing and configuring software, managing user accounts, and monitoring system performance.

3. Why should I learn system administration using CentOS Linux?

CentOS Linux is a popular choice for servers and is widely used in enterprise environments. By learning system administration using CentOS Linux, you will gain valuable skills that are in high demand in the job market.

4. What are some good books to learn system administration using CentOS Linux?

Some recommended books for learning system administration using CentOS Linux include "CentOS System Administration Essentials" by Andrew Mallett, "Mastering CentOS 7 Linux Server" by Bhaskarjyoti Roy, and "CentOS 7 Linux Server Cookbook" by Oliver Pelz and Jonathan Hobson.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning system administration using CentOS Linux?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning system administration using CentOS Linux. Some popular options include the official CentOS documentation, online tutorials and courses, and community forums such as the CentOS forum and Reddit's r/CentOS community.