Books and websites about manipulatives in mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of manipulatives in mathematics teaching for secondary schools. The participants mentioned the usefulness of manipulatives, such as Cuisenaire rods, in teaching operations and fractions. They also shared resources, such as a Wikipedia page and a website, for further information on manipulatives. The conversation ended with a realization of how manipulatives can aid understanding of mathematical concepts.
robertphy
Do you know about books and websites about manipulatives in mathematics teaching for secondary schools?
I think manipulatives are incredibly useful in teaching Mathematics.

Thank you for your support.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never heard of that method

Likes vanhees71
What is a manipulative?

Likes jtbell
I believe Cuisinaire rods (see https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F8R5N2/?tag=pfamazon01-20) fall into the category of mathematics manipulatives. They're very useful IMO for teaching such arithmetic operations as multiplication and division and working with fractional amounts.

They're mostly used in the primary grades. I don't know of anything of this nature that is used in the higher grades.

I've never seen those rods before (elementary school in the 1960s). Though I do remember staring at a floor tiled with small square tiles, and "seeing why" the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2.

Likes mathwonk, vanhees71 and Demystifier
And thanks to your mental picture, I see why it is also equivalent to the algebraic formula (n+1)^2 - n^2 = 2n+1, which also proves it by induction. cool.

Likes Demystifier and gmax137

1. What are manipulatives in mathematics?

Manipulatives in mathematics are physical objects or tools that are used to help students understand mathematical concepts. They can include items such as blocks, counters, fraction tiles, and geometric shapes.

2. How do manipulatives help in learning mathematics?

Manipulatives help students develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts by allowing them to physically manipulate and interact with objects. This hands-on approach can make abstract concepts more concrete and easier to understand.

3. Are there any recommended books about manipulatives in mathematics?

Yes, there are several highly recommended books about manipulatives in mathematics, including "Mathematical Manipulatives: A Sourcebook" by Brian Bolt and "Hands-On Math: Manipulative Math for Young Children" by Rebecca Rapoport.

4. Are there any websites that offer resources for using manipulatives in mathematics?

Yes, there are many websites that offer resources for using manipulatives in mathematics, such as the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) website and the Math Learning Center website. These sites offer lesson plans, activities, and other resources for using manipulatives in teaching mathematics.

5. How can I incorporate manipulatives into my mathematics curriculum?

There are many ways to incorporate manipulatives into a mathematics curriculum. You can use them as a visual aid during lessons, as a hands-on activity for students to explore concepts, or as a tool for problem-solving and critical thinking. It is important to choose manipulatives that align with the specific concepts being taught and to provide guidance and support for students as they use them.