Bouncing calculation of this balance equation with the Iteration Method

In summary, the electronic calculator does an automatic iteration to find the [OH-] of a dilute base.
i_love_science
I need to solve the following equation for [OH-]:

Kw/[OH-] + (10^-5)Kb/(Kb+[OH-]) = [OH-]

by using the iteration method.

I guess that [OH-] = 10^-7 M. I plug this into the left hand side of the equation and find [OH-] = 1.39*(10^-7) M. I plug this value back into the left hand side, and get OH-] = 0.99*(10^-7) M, which is approx. my initial guess.

The solution says that I should take the average of the two values I am bouncing around: [OH-] = 1.19*(10^-7) M. If it continues to bounce, I should keep on taking averages until the value converges. Actually, it turns out to work.

I don't understand why specifically the average is taken, and the reasoning behind it. Can anyone explain it? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you look for a solution of [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] using the obvious iteration [tex]
x_{n+1} = f(x_n)[/tex] then this will only converge if [itex]|f'(x)| < 1[/itex] at the fixed point. If the iteration bounces approximately between two numbers, then that's an indication that [itex]f'(x) \approx -1[/itex] at the fixed point (compare with [itex]f(x) = -x[/itex]) so the iteration will either not converge or will converge only slowly.

If instead you set [tex]
x_{n + 1} = \frac{x_n + f(x_n)}2[/tex] then a fixed point is a solution of [itex]x = f(x)[/itex] since [tex]x = \frac{x + f(x)}2 \quad\Leftrightarrow\quad x = f(x).[/tex]
Is the iteration stable? That requires that [tex]
\left|\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x + f(x)}{2}\right)\right| < 1[/tex] at the fixed point. This is equivalent to [itex]-3 < f'(x) < 1[/itex], so should converge much faster than the obvious ieration when [itex]f'(x) \approx -1[/itex].

Likes Office_Shredder and Chestermiller
OK that is the equation to give you [OH-] of a dilute (10-5 M) base. Not good question asking that you don't tell us what is the Kb value nor what is the result when 'it works'.

It looks to me that your calculation by substituting previous value was not even converging – wouldn't you expect a base to give you [OH-] greater than 10-7 (if Kw = 10-14) whereas your calculation was going the other way.

I think of the calculation that you are told to do is just the same as an electronic calculator does automatically. I read somewhere that whereas people used to use methods like Newton's to home into approximate solutions as fast as possible, that was because the calculations you had to do at each step took time and effort so you minimised the number of iterations.Then when electronics brought the cost and time of numerical calculation hugely down it was found better to do a stupid calculation a large number of times than the more clever thing that might take the computer or programmer more time. So I think what your calculator does is it divides the range of the variable that you give it into I don't know how many intervals (maybe equal to the number of pixels if it's a graphical one), then calculates
Kw/[OH-] + (10^-5)Kb/(Kb+[OH-]) - [OH-]
for each value of the variable [OH-]. When this function changes sign between one calculation and the next, there is a root between the two corresponding values of [OH-]. It divides the interval in two, calculates the function again for the intermediate value and the result tells which half of the interval the root is in. It divides that interval in two again and does the same thing again and very rapidly homes into a solution far more precise than you ever need. I think it's more or less like that but don't really know anything apart from this thing I remember.(Nor do I know why you are being asked to go through this!) Can you tell us the value of the above function for your two initial values of [OH-] ? They ought to be of opposite sign I think.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Iteration Method" in the context of balancing chemical equations?

The Iteration Method is a mathematical technique used to balance chemical equations by systematically adjusting the coefficients of each reactant and product until the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation are equal.

2. Why is the Iteration Method used for balancing equations instead of other methods?

The Iteration Method is preferred because it is a systematic approach that guarantees the correct coefficients will be found, unlike other methods such as trial and error which can be time-consuming and may not always result in a balanced equation.

3. How does the Iteration Method work?

The Iteration Method involves starting with an initial guess for the coefficients of each reactant and product, and then using a series of calculations to determine the actual coefficients that will balance the equation. This process is repeated until the coefficients no longer change, indicating a balanced equation has been achieved.

4. Is the Iteration Method suitable for all types of chemical equations?

The Iteration Method can be used for any type of chemical equation, including those with complex compounds and multiple reactants and products. However, it may not be the most efficient method for simpler equations that can be balanced using other techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to the Iteration Method?

While the Iteration Method is a reliable way to balance equations, it does have some limitations. It may not work if the equation is not properly written or if there are errors in the initial coefficients. In addition, it may not be suitable for equations with a large number of atoms or for reactions that are not at equilibrium.