How to Calculate the Bounces of a Bouncy Ball

• Thread starter oobercharge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of calculating the height of a bouncing ball using its mass, height, and gravity. The speaker acknowledges the need to consider other variables such as wind resistance and surface, but wishes to keep the equation simple. Suggestions are made to look up the coefficient of restitution and to conduct a physical experiment to gather data for the code.
oobercharge
Homework Statement
If I were to say M was mass, H was height, and G was gravity, what equation could I plug those variables into to get how high and how many times a ball would bounce after being dropped.
Relevant Equations
Mass, Gravity, and Height of ball being dropped
For school I'm trying to write some code to calculate the height of how high a ball would bounce given its mass, height, and the gravity of where it was dropped. I know there are more variables to consider, like wind resistance and the surface it was dropped on, but for now I'm trying to keep it simple.
"If I were to say M was mass, H was height, and G was gravity, what equation could I plug those variables into to get how high and how many times a ball would bounce after being dropped."
Sorry if any of this seems unclear, I know almost nothing about physics but I need to figure this out for my computer science class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without additional assumptions the ball will bounce back to its original height indefinitely.

Look up coefficient of restitution.

Why not get yourself a bouncy ball, bounce it off the floor with some kind of scale behind it and take a video. You can estimate the maximum height after each bounce and then write the code to describe the motion. It's called data fitting. As a @harusex PF user @haruspex suggested, look up coefficient of restitution.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
As a @harusex
Something else on your mind?

• Haha
Likes berkeman
haruspex said:
Something else on your mind?
Oooops, just one of them Freudian slips. :blushing:

1. How do I calculate the number of bounces a bouncy ball will make?

The number of bounces a bouncy ball will make can be calculated using the formula: N = (h/d)^2, where N is the number of bounces, h is the initial height of the ball, and d is the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the ball's bounciness).

2. What is the coefficient of restitution and how does it affect the bounces of a bouncy ball?

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a measure of the bounciness of a ball. It is a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents no bounce and 1 represents a perfect bounce. The higher the COR, the more bounces a bouncy ball will make.

3. Can I calculate the bounces of a bouncy ball without knowing the coefficient of restitution?

Yes, you can estimate the number of bounces by assuming a certain COR value. However, the more accurate and precise calculation requires knowing the exact COR of the ball.

4. How does the initial height of the ball affect the number of bounces?

The higher the initial height of the ball, the more bounces it will make. This is because the ball has more potential energy at a higher height, which is converted into kinetic energy when it bounces. Therefore, a ball dropped from a higher height will bounce more times than a ball dropped from a lower height.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the bounces of any bouncy ball?

Yes, the formula N = (h/d)^2 can be used to calculate the bounces of any bouncy ball, as long as you know the initial height and coefficient of restitution of the ball. However, keep in mind that the COR may vary for different types of bouncy balls, so the calculated number of bounces may not be completely accurate.