Bouncing Height of Cylindrical Tube: Equation & Properties

• I
  • Thread starter Tech Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for finding the bouncing height of a cylindrical tube when it falls on a concrete floor under Earth's gravity. The material properties of the tube and floor are also mentioned. The equation for calculating impact force and time is also brought up, with the suggestion of using a simple spring-mass analysis. The importance of considering the continuous force of the cylinder and the absorption of kinetic energy in the deformation is emphasized.
Tech Guy
What is the equation to find the bouncing height of a cylindrical tube when the flat surface is falling on the floor under Earth's gravity? I know the mass, drop height and material properties of the cylindrical tube.

Physics news on Phys.org
And the floor properties too.

C
256bits said:
And the floor properties too.
Considering it as a concrete floor.

and Material of the tube is high-density polyethylene: Density 960 kg/m3, Tensile modulus 1500MPa Tensile strength at yield 31 MPa Charpy Imp strength 4.0 kJ/m2

Last edited:
Tech Guy said:
What is the equation to find the bouncing height of a cylindrical tube when the flat surface is falling on the floor under Earth's gravity? I know the mass, drop height and material properties of the cylindrical tube.
Do you know the rotation rate and impact angle?

Tube is falling normal to the ground without rotation.

Have you tried a simple spring -mass analysis to begin with, and then work your way up to the variable compression of the tube ( the part hitting the ground compresses the most )
Of course we don't know the energy loss.
It would be something like
Ep = Ek at impact = Ek at rebound + Elosses

256bits said:
Have you tried a simple spring -mass analysis to begin with, and then work your way up to the variable compression of the tube ( the part hitting the ground compresses the most )
Of course we don't know the energy loss.
It would be something like
Ep = Ek at impact = Ek at rebound + Elosses
I did not understand. It would be great if you can explain.

Actually I am trying to calculate the impact force due to freefall. As I know the KE due to fall, I need the impact distance to calculate the force (1/2 mv²/d).
If this is difficult to calculate theoretically, any equation to calculate impact time to use Newtons second law to calculate the Impact force?

Oh ok then.
You write an equation comparing the kinetic energy to the elastic deformation of the cylinder with the assumption that the concrete is rigid. ( which is not true but it gives you that worst case, I think ).
And solve for deformation of the cylinder.

Note:
1.You have a continuous force acting on the cylinder during deformation. This force is the weight of the cylinder. This adds work to the deformation.
2. The kinetic energy of the falling cylinder is absorbed by elastic energy within a reduced length less than the full length of the cylinder. This tends to increase the stress and deformation nearer the impact area.

1. What is the equation for calculating the bouncing height of a cylindrical tube?

The equation for calculating the bouncing height of a cylindrical tube is h = (1/2)mv^2/mg, where h is the bouncing height, m is the mass of the tube, v is the velocity at impact, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the mass of the cylindrical tube affect its bouncing height?

The mass of the cylindrical tube directly affects its bouncing height. The heavier the tube, the lower the bouncing height will be. This is because the heavier mass requires more energy to be lifted, resulting in a lower bouncing height.

3. What is the impact velocity and how does it impact the bouncing height?

The impact velocity is the speed at which the cylindrical tube hits the ground. It directly affects the bouncing height, as the higher the impact velocity, the higher the bouncing height will be. This is because the tube will have more energy to be propelled upwards.

4. How does the surface on which the cylindrical tube bounces affect its bouncing height?

The surface on which the cylindrical tube bounces can greatly impact its bouncing height. A harder surface, such as concrete, will result in a higher bouncing height compared to a softer surface, such as grass. This is because the harder surface will provide more rebound force to the tube.

5. Can the properties of the cylindrical tube, such as its material or shape, affect its bouncing height?

Yes, the properties of the cylindrical tube can also affect its bouncing height. A tube made of a more elastic material, such as rubber, will have a higher bouncing height compared to a tube made of a less elastic material. Additionally, a tube with a more cylindrical shape will have a higher bouncing height compared to a tube with a flatter shape.