Bound surface charge - hollow tube

In summary: As a side note, the latex code for vector symbols is \vec{A} instead of (A).In summary, a thick-walled cylindrical tube of dielectric material with internal radius a/2 and external radius 2a has a polarization given by P = (A/r2) er in cylindrical coordinates. The net charge on the inner and outer surfaces of a length L of the tube can be derived using the equation σb = P . n hat, where n hat is the outward-pointing unit vector normal to the surface and P is the polarization. The surface area of the cylinder is 2∏rL (ignoring the ends). By applying this equation, the total surface charge density is equal to the sum
Roodles01

Homework Statement

A thick-walled cylindrical tube of dielectric material has internal radius a/2 and external radius 2a, and its polarization is given in cylindrical coordinates by the expression P = (A/r2) er.

Derive expressions for the net charge on the inner and outer surfaces of a length L of the tube and for the charge within the volume of length L of the tube.

Homework Equations

σb = P . n hat
where n hat is the outward-pointing unit vector normal to the surface and P is the polarization.
surface area of cylinder (ignoring ends) = 2∏rL

The Attempt at a Solution

σb total = σb inner + σb outer

σb outer = (A/(2a)2) * area of cylinder
σb outer = (A/(2a)2) * 2∏(2a)L
σb outer = ∏AL/a

Now the bit I can't seem to marry with the model answer . . .

σb inner = (A/(a/2)2) * 2∏(a)L
σb inner = (4A/a2) * 2∏(a)L
σb inner = 8∏AL/a

At least that's how I got it.

The model answer shows it to be
σb inner = 4∏AL/a

It has to be a problem I'm having with algebra again, but I can't see where.
Could you show me where I went wrong please.

Or am I right?

Attachments

• Q1 01 01 edit.jpg
    Q1 01 01 edit.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aaaaah!
Details.
Please ignore this.

Yes, the wrong bit is me not looking proplerly.
radius is a/2 not a.
Sorry.

Still has me puzzled. In the attachment I read ##\vec P = \left ( A/r^3\right ) \, \vec e_r ## (in the text; in the picture it's hard to distinguish if it's a 3 or a 2).

Or is your exercise another one, with the a/2 instead of the a and the 2 instead of the 3 ?

Related to Bound surface charge - hollow tube

1. What is bound surface charge?

Bound surface charge refers to the accumulation of electric charges on the surface of a material due to its interaction with an external electric field. This charge is typically caused by the polarization of the material's atoms or molecules.

2. How does bound surface charge differ from free surface charge?

Bound surface charge is different from free surface charge in that it is not able to move freely within the material or on its surface. Free surface charge, on the other hand, can move and redistribute itself along the surface of a material.

3. What is the significance of bound surface charge in a hollow tube?

In a hollow tube, bound surface charge plays a critical role in determining the electrical properties of the tube. It can affect the capacitance, resistance, and other electrical characteristics of the tube, making it an important factor to consider in various applications.

4. How is bound surface charge measured in a hollow tube?

The bound surface charge in a hollow tube can be measured using various techniques such as electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, surface potential mapping, or Kelvin probe force microscopy. These methods allow for the detection and quantification of the bound surface charge on the inner and outer surfaces of the tube.

5. Can the bound surface charge on a hollow tube be manipulated?

Yes, the bound surface charge on a hollow tube can be manipulated through various methods such as applying an external electric field or using different materials with varying polarization properties. This manipulation can be useful in controlling the electrical properties of the tube for specific applications.