Boundary conditions - Fresnel equations

In summary, the derivation of the Fresnel equations involves dealing with infinite plane waves that are always propagating, reflecting, and transmitting. This approach is useful because any beam can be represented as a sum of monochromatic plane waves. This means that for the parallel components of the E-field, Maxwell's equations dictate that the incoming, reflected, and refracted components must all match up at the boundary. This does not take into account the concept of time, as we are treating the waves as extended fields rather than individual pulses. By decomposing a pulse of light into its frequency components and applying the Fresnel equations, we can obtain the final solution.
spookyfw
Hello,
whenever I come to the derivation of the Fresnel equations I get stuck on the boundary condition for the component of the E-Field that is parallel to the surface.

I know for the parallel components Maxwell dictates that:

[itex]E_{1t}[/itex] = [itex]E_{2t}[/itex].

For the parallel incoming light field component [itex]E_{it}[/itex], the reflected component [itex]E_{rt}[/itex] and the refracted one [itex]E_{tt}[/itex] it holds that:

[itex]E_{it}[/itex] + [itex]E_{rt}[/itex] = [itex]E_{tt}[/itex].

I always think about time though. I have the sequence in my head: ray coming in and then we have the refracted and reflected beam. Does that not apply because we just assume, that everything is happening at once?

Would be very nice if something could shed some light on this. Thank you very much in advance :) and have a good one,
spookyfw

Physics news on Phys.org
The way the Fresnel equations problem is set up, we are dealing with infinite plane waves that have always been propagating, always reflecting, and always transmitting (this makes the math easier). There is no moment of reflection. We are not dealing with pencil-thin beams of laser-pulsed waves. That problem is much harder. In the Fresnel equations approach, we are treating the waves as extended electromagnetic fields that must match up at boundaries, rather than balls bouncing around. The reason this approach is useful is because you can represent any beam as a sum of monochromatic plane waves. For instance, to deal with a pulse of light (what you seem to have in your head), you would decompose it into its frequency components, apply the Fresnel equations or whatever else to each component, then sum the results to get your final solution.

Sorry for not replying earlier. Thank you very much for your reply :)! It is clear now.

Have a good one,
spookyfw

1. What are boundary conditions in relation to Fresnel equations?

Boundary conditions refer to the conditions at the interface between two different media where the Fresnel equations are applied. These conditions dictate how light behaves when it transitions from one medium to another, such as from air to glass or from glass to water.

2. What are the Fresnel equations used for?

The Fresnel equations are used to calculate the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at an interface between two different media. They are commonly used in optics and photonics to understand and predict the behavior of light at boundaries between materials.

3. How do the Fresnel equations account for the polarization of light?

The Fresnel equations take into account the polarization of light by using the concept of the refractive index, which is different for different polarizations of light. The equations use the Fresnel coefficients, which are different for parallel and perpendicular polarizations, to calculate the amount of reflected and transmitted light.

4. Do the Fresnel equations apply to all types of light?

The Fresnel equations are applicable to all types of light, including visible light, infrared light, and ultraviolet light. They can also be extended to other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as microwaves and X-rays.

5. Can the Fresnel equations be used for non-planar interfaces?

The original Fresnel equations were derived for planar interfaces, but they can also be applied to non-planar interfaces by using the concept of local surface normal vectors. This allows the equations to be used for curved surfaces, such as lenses and mirrors, as well as for interfaces between different media with varying refractive indices.