Boundary conditions of a bending plate

In summary, the problem involves a plate with length 2L placed on supports at x = L/2 and x = -L/2, deforming elastically under its own weight. The goal is to solve the equation DW'''' = q(x) for the right half of the plate (x > 0). The flexural rigidity is determined by the equation D = (Eh^3)/(12(1-v^2)), where E is Young's Modulus, v is Poisson's ratio, and h is the thickness of the plate. The boundary conditions for the right end of the plate are DW''' = 0 (shear force) at x = L and DW'' = 0 (bending
kosovo dave
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the boundary conditions for the following problem:

A plate with length 2L is placed on supports at x = L/2 and x = - L/2. The plate is deforming elastically under its own weight (maximum displacement bowing up at x = 0). Both ends of the plate are free boundaries.

The goal is to eventually solve the equation DW'''' = q(x) for the right half of the plate (x > 0).

Homework Equations

D is the flexural rigidity $$\frac{Eh^3}{12(1-\nu^2)}$$

E is Young's Modulus, ν is Poisson's ratio, h is the thickness of the plate, and q = -ρgh.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the right end of the plate is free, I think the two boundary conditions there are DW''' = 0 (shear force) at x = L and DW'' = 0 (bending moment) at x = L. What are the quantities I should be considering for the boundary conditions at x = 0? I feel like one of them is bending stress.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The bending moments and the displacements are zero at both ends. The reaction forces and shear forces are not.

Likes kosovo dave
By "ends" do you mean of the full plate (x = -L and x = L) or the half-space (x=0 and x = L)? I should also clarify that the ends of the plate (x = +/- L) sag beneath the x-axis.

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 7.26.12 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 7.26.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 7.26.12 PM.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 821
kosovo dave said:
Oh. I missed this when I was visualizing the system. Yes, the boundary conditions you proposed are the correct ones to use: zero shear force and zero bending moment at both ends.

1. What are boundary conditions of a bending plate?

The boundary conditions of a bending plate refer to the constraints applied to the edges or boundaries of the plate. These constraints affect how the plate will deform under external loads.

2. How do boundary conditions affect the bending of a plate?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the bending behavior of a plate. They can affect the magnitude and distribution of stress and strain within the plate, as well as the overall deflection and stiffness of the plate.

3. What are the different types of boundary conditions for a bending plate?

The most common types of boundary conditions for a bending plate include simply supported, clamped, free, and guided. Simply supported means the edges of the plate are supported but can move freely in the vertical direction. Clamped means the edges are fixed in place. Free means the edges are completely unrestricted. Guided means the edges are supported but can only move in a certain direction.

4. How do I determine the appropriate boundary conditions for my bending plate analysis?

The appropriate boundary conditions for a bending plate analysis depend on the specific loading and support conditions of the plate. It is important to consider the physical constraints of the plate in real-world applications and choose boundary conditions that accurately reflect those constraints.

5. Can boundary conditions be changed during a bending plate analysis?

In most cases, boundary conditions are assumed to be constant throughout the analysis. However, in some cases, it may be necessary to change the boundary conditions to simulate different loading or support scenarios. This can be done using finite element analysis software, but it is important to ensure that the changes are physically realistic.