Checking assumptions in boundary conditions of double well system

In summary, the idea is to use the boundary conditions to get a transcendental equation, and then that transcendental equation can be solved numerically.
baseballfan_ny
Homework Statement
We are given a potential with a particle confined between two wells (see below). Assume that the wavefunction ##\psi## has the form below, and don't worry about the overall normalization. Apply the appropriate boundary conditions to find an equation ##f_{\pm}(k) = 0## (with no unknowns other than k), where ##\pm## indicates the symmetric and antisymmetric solutions.
Relevant Equations
Schrodinger's Equation. Boundary Conditions.
1665523819974.png

The idea here (as I'm told) is to use the boundary conditions to get a transcendental equation, and then that transcendental equation can be solved numerically. So I'm making a few assumptions in this problem:
1. The potential ##V(x)## is even, so the wavefunction ##\psi(x)## is either even or odd so that ## |\psi|^2## is even.
2. ##k## and ##\kappa## can be treated as one unknown, as they're both related to the energy.
3. I am assuming that the symmetric and antisymmetric solutions (represent by the ##\pm##) mean even and odd. Because of this, my representation of the even solution to the wave function is:

$$ \psi_{even}(x) =
\begin{cases}
A_1 \cos(kx), & -a - \frac {b} {2} \leq x \lt \frac {-b} {2} \\
A_2(e^{\kappa x} + e^{-\kappa x}), & \frac {-b} {2} \leq x \lt \frac {b} {2} \\
A_1 \cos(kx), & \frac {b} {2} \leq x \leq a + \frac {b} {2}
\end{cases}$$

And the odd solution:
$$ \psi_{odd}(x) =
\begin{cases}
B_1 \sin(kx), & -a - \frac {b} {2} \leq x \lt \frac {-b} {2} \\
A_2(e^{\kappa x} - e^{-\kappa x}), & \frac {-b} {2} \leq x \lt \frac {b} {2} \\
B_1 \sin(kx), & \frac {b} {2} \leq x \leq a + \frac {b} {2}
\end{cases}$$

Essentially, my reasoning is that for the even solution, the middle part with exponentials must be even and the ends must be even as well, so the odd part (the ##B_1## on the ##\sin(kx)##) should be 0, and analogous reasoning for the odd solution.
Then because I know a given solution is even or odd, I know that the coefficients should be the same on ##-a - \frac {b} {2} \leq x \lt \frac {-b} {2}## and ## \frac {b} {2} \leq x \leq a + \frac {b} {2} ##. This, I believe, allows me to only have to apply boundary conditions on one side of the potential.

However, when I start applying the boundary conditions, I run into an issue. The 3 boundary conditions I'm using are continuity of ##\psi(x)## and ##\frac {\partial \psi} {\partial x}## at ##x = \frac {b} {2}##, as well as ##\psi(x)## being 0 at ##x = a + \frac {b} {2}## (this is for the even solution).

If I apply those first two boundary conditions, I seem to get a transcendental equation for k...
$$A_2(e^{\kappa \frac b 2} + e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}) = A_1 \cos(k \frac b 2) $$
$$ \kappa (e^{\kappa \frac b 2} - e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}) = -k A_1 \sin(k \frac b 2) $$

Dividing these two gives me $$ \frac {1} {\kappa} \frac {e^{\kappa \frac b 2} + e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}} {e^{\kappa \frac b 2} - e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}} = - \frac {1} {\kappa} \cot(\frac {kb} {2}) $$

But the first boundary condition gives me a totally different value of k!
$$A_1 \cos(k(a + \frac b 2)) = 0$$
$$k(a + \frac b 2) = \frac {n \pi} {2} $$

That last line, I'm pretty sure, is not the solution to k. So I'm wondering if one of the assumptions I made earlier is flawed. Perhaps it's not safe to assume that ##B_1=0## for the even solution? But I would think any odd components need to vanish in the symmetric solution...

Physics news on Phys.org
baseballfan_ny said:
Perhaps it's not safe to assume that ##B_1=0## for the even solution?
But I would think any odd components need to vanish in the symmetric solution...
[Edited to provide a simpler example]: Graph ##\sin(x)## for positive ##x## and then flip the graph about the y axis. You get an even function ##y= \sin|x|##. The "component" of this even function for positive ##x## is ##\sin(x)##. So, ##\sin(x)## can be a component of an even function.

Last edited:
Likes baseballfan_ny
But for ##0<E<V_0## the solution in region 1 is of the given form (superposition of cos and sin). Since the potential is parity invariant, you can look for even and odd functions (parity eigenfunctions), and this is a good idea, because it simplifies the solution of the boundary conditions.

I think the OP is right (I've not checked all the equations in detail though). The condition for ##k## looks right, and for each ##n## (which must be odd of course, i.e., ##n \in \{1,3,5,\ldots \}## ), you can look for ##\kappa##, given the transcendent equation connecting ##\kappa## with ##k##.

vanhees71 said:
But for ##0<E<V_0## the solution in region 1 is of the given form (superposition of cos and sin). Since the potential is parity invariant, you can look for even and odd functions (parity eigenfunctions), and this is a good idea, because it simplifies the solution of the boundary conditions.
Yes, I agree. But including a ##\sin(x)## component in the region ##b/2 < x < a+b/2## can still lead to an even solution for ##\psi##.

vanhees71 said:
I think the OP is right (I've not checked all the equations in detail though). The condition for ##k## looks right, and for each ##n## (which must be odd of course, i.e., ##n \in \{1,3,5,\ldots \}## ), you can look for ##\kappa##, given the transcendent equation connecting ##\kappa## with ##k##.
As the OP has shown, if you do not include a ##\sin(x)## component in the region ##b/2 < x < a+b/2##, then ##k## is determined solely from the condition ##\psi(a+b/2) = 0##. Since ##k = \frac{1}{\hbar} \sqrt{2mE}##, this means that ##E## would be determined independently of ##V_0##. Since ##E## would then be known, ##\kappa## would be determined from ##\kappa = \frac{1}{\hbar} \sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}## without using the transcendent equation. There is then no freedom left to satisfy the transcendent equation.

Likes vanhees71
That's right. I didn't think carefully enough!

Likes TSny
Why not [itex]\psi_2(x) = A_2\cosh(\kappa x)[/itex] rather than [itex]\psi_2(x) = A_2(e^{\kappa x} + e^{-\kappa x}) = 2A_2\cosh(\kappa x)[/itex]? And similarly with [itex]\cosh[/itex] replaced by [itex]\sinh[/itex] for the odd case. (This query is mainly directed at the question-setter rather than the OP.)

baseballfan_ny said:
If I apply those first two boundary conditions, I seem to get a transcendental equation for k...
$$A_2(e^{\kappa \frac b 2} + e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}) = A_1 \cos(k \frac b 2) $$
$$ \kappa (e^{\kappa \frac b 2} - e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}) = -k A_1 \sin(k \frac b 2) $$

I think you've lost an [itex]A_2[/itex] somewhere.

Dividing these two gives me $$ \frac {1} {\kappa} \frac {e^{\kappa \frac b 2} + e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}} {e^{\kappa \frac b 2} - e^{-\kappa \frac b 2}} = - \frac {1} {\kappa} \cot(\frac {kb} {2}) $$

I think doing the division the other way is more natural: [tex]
\kappa \tanh(\kappa b/2) = -k\tan(kb/2) = ik\tanh(ikb/2).[/tex] But yes, as others have noted, you have three conditions to satisfy so you need three unknown coefficients. [itex]\psi_2[/itex] is defined on a symmetric interval about zero so to be even the coefficient of sinh must vanish, and hence the third coefficient can only be the coefficient of sine in [itex]\psi_1(x) = \psi_3(-x)[/itex]. Your transcendental equation then comes from the requirement that the determinant of the 3x3 matrix to be inverted to find [itex]A_1[/itex], [itex]B_1[/itex], and [itex]A_2[/itex] must vanish if zero is not to be the unique solution for the coefficients.

Likes baseballfan_ny

What is a double well system?

A double well system is a physical or mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system with two potential energy wells. This means that the system has two stable equilibrium points, which are separated by an energy barrier.

Why is it important to check assumptions in the boundary conditions of a double well system?

Checking assumptions in the boundary conditions of a double well system is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the model. If the boundary conditions are not properly defined or if there are incorrect assumptions, the behavior of the system may not be accurately represented.

What are some common assumptions made in boundary conditions of a double well system?

Some common assumptions made in the boundary conditions of a double well system include the absence of external forces, the system being in thermal equilibrium, and the system being isolated from its surroundings.

How can one check the assumptions in the boundary conditions of a double well system?

There are several methods that can be used to check the assumptions in the boundary conditions of a double well system. These include numerical simulations, experimental measurements, and theoretical calculations. It is important to use multiple methods to validate the assumptions and ensure the accuracy of the model.

What are the consequences of incorrect assumptions in the boundary conditions of a double well system?

Incorrect assumptions in the boundary conditions of a double well system can lead to inaccurate predictions and results. This can affect the overall understanding of the system and may lead to incorrect conclusions. It is important to carefully check and validate assumptions to ensure the reliability of the model.