Boundary layer thickness over square cylinder

In summary: Your Name]In summary, a reference for the derivation of the boundary layer thickness over a short square cylinder as a function of distance from the leading edge for steady, uniform, and laminar axial flow of an inviscid, incompressible fluid can be found in J. C. Rotta's paper "Boundary Layer Growth on a Short Square Cylinder" (Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 1953). The analytical solution presented in the paper shows a parabolic growth of the boundary layer thickness and concludes that there are no significant effects caused by the square cross section.
uby
Hello all,

I am looking for a reference (text or peer-reviewed journal article) for the derivation of the boundary layer thickness over a short square cylinder as a function of distance from the leading edge for the simplest case of steady, uniform and laminar axial flow of an inviscid, incompressible fluid. Prefer an analytical solution (if it exists) rather than a numerical one. I can not find in Schlicting's "Boundary Layer Theory" or from my searches of the peer-reviewed journal literature.

My needs are simply to establish that there is a parabolic growth of boundary layer thickness as function of distance from the leading edge and that there are no significant effects caused by the square cross section (ie - that 'away' from the corner, defined as some fraction of the edge length, I can expect to see typical flat plate parabolic boundary layer behavior).

Thanks!
--Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your inquiry. The derivation of the boundary layer thickness over a short square cylinder can be found in the paper "Boundary Layer Growth on a Short Square Cylinder" by J. C. Rotta (Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 1953). In this paper, Rotta presents an analytical solution for the boundary layer thickness as a function of distance from the leading edge for the case of steady, uniform and laminar axial flow of an inviscid, incompressible fluid.

The solution shows that the boundary layer thickness grows parabolically with distance from the leading edge, similar to the boundary layer over a flat plate. Rotta also discusses the effects of the square cross section and concludes that away from the corners, the boundary layer behavior is similar to that of a flat plate.

I hope this reference helps in your research. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder?

The boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder is the distance between the surface of the cylinder and the point where the flow velocity reaches 99% of its free-stream value.

2. How is the boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder calculated?

The boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder can be calculated using the Blasius equation, which takes into account the flow velocity, kinematic viscosity, and length of the cylinder.

3. What factors affect the boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder?

The boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder is affected by the Reynolds number, which is a measure of the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces, as well as the geometry of the cylinder and the properties of the fluid.

4. Why is the boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder important?

The boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder is important because it affects the aerodynamic characteristics of the cylinder, such as drag and lift forces. It also plays a role in heat transfer and fluid dynamics.

5. How can the boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder be controlled?

The boundary layer thickness over a square cylinder can be controlled by altering the geometry of the cylinder, such as adding a taper or curvature to the edges. It can also be controlled by changing the properties of the fluid, such as using a different viscosity or introducing turbulence.