Boundary value problems (Ordinary differential equations) with a beam

In summary, the given equation relates the deflection of a non-uniform beam to its length, load, elastic foundation, and other variables. By using the central difference approximation, we can solve for the deflection at a specific point (y(0.5)) using different values of h.
CptJackWest

Homework Statement

The deflection y of a non-uniform beam of length equal to 1, simply supported at both
ends and with uniformly distributed load q, is governed by the equation

(E*I(x)*y'')'' + k*y=q
y(0)=0, y''(0)=0, y(1)=0, y''(0)=0

I(x)=A[1-0.5(1-x)2]2, 0<=x<=1

where E =Young’s modulus of elasticity, I =moment of inertia, k =elastic foundation,
q =load on the beam, A=area of cross-section of the beam and k = 6EA.
Use the central difference approximation to solve the above differential equation to
compute values for y(0.5) using h=1/2 and h=1/4.

Homework Equations

y'=(yr+1-yr-1)/2h

y''=(yr-1-2yr+yr+1)/h2

y'''=(yr+2-2yr+1+2yr-1-yr-2)/2h3

y''''=(yr-2-4yr-1+6yr-4yr+1+yr+2)/h4

k=6E*A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure what to do (E*I(x)*y'')''how to expand brackets with the differentiation on the outside. Other than that I am good with this sought of problem
Thanks Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
First we need to expand the given equation: (E*I(x)*y'')'' + k*y = q We can use the chain rule for this: E*I*y'''' + k*y = q Now, using the central difference approximations given, we can rewrite the equation as: E*A[1-0.5(1-x)2]2 * (yr+2-2yr+1+2yr-1-yr-2)/2h3 + 6EA*yr = q Now, we can rearrange the equation to solve for y(0.5) when h=1/2 and h=1/4: When h=1/2: y(0.5) = q/(E*A[1-0.5(1-0.5)2]2 + 12EA) When h=1/4: y(0.5) = q/(E*A[1-0.5(1-0.5)2]2 + 24EA)

Related to Boundary value problems (Ordinary differential equations) with a beam

1. What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the solution is required to satisfy a set of conditions at more than one point. In the context of ordinary differential equations with a beam, this means that the solution must satisfy certain conditions (such as displacement or stress) at both ends of the beam.

2. What are ordinary differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In the context of beams, ODEs are used to model the behavior of the beam under different loading conditions.

3. How are boundary value problems solved?

Boundary value problems are typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve dividing the beam into smaller segments and approximating the solution at each point.

4. What are some applications of boundary value problems with a beam?

Boundary value problems with beams have numerous practical applications, such as in structural engineering for designing and analyzing buildings, bridges, and other structures. They are also used in mechanical engineering for analyzing the behavior of machine components, and in physics for studying the deformation of materials.

5. What are some limitations of using boundary value problems with a beam?

One limitation of using boundary value problems with beams is that they assume the beam is perfectly straight and uniform, which may not be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, boundary value problems may become more complex and difficult to solve for more complex beam geometries or loading conditions.