BR of semileptonic B meson decay

In summary, the Standard Model predicts the branching ratio of B to tau and neutrino to be approximately 0.7 x 10^-4. This may seem small, but when considering the mean lifetime of B (10^-12 seconds) and the Fermi constant (10^-5 GeV^-2), the units work out and the orders of magnitude make sense. The correct way to convert between seconds and energy is to use natural units, where \hbar = 6.58 x 10^-25 GeV-s = 1, allowing for an easier calculation of the relationship between energy and time.
Safinaz
Hi there,

In a reference as 1303.5877v1 [hep-ph ] the SM branching ratio of ## B \to \tau \nu ## is given by:

## \frac{m_B G_F^2 m_\tau^2 \tau_B f^2_B } { 8 \pi } V_{ub}^2 ( 1 - \frac{m_\tau^2}{m_B^2} )^2 ## . In the SM model the value of this BR ## \sim 0.7 \times 10^{-4} ## .

But I don't understand how the BR is of order 10^-4, while the mean life time ## \tau_B \sim 10^{-12} s ## and the Fermi constant ## \sim 10^{-5} GeV ^{ -2} ## ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]10^{-12} ~s \sim \mathcal{O}(10^{11} ~GeV^{-1}) [/itex]

*edit*

Well I got this from wolframalpha, but I think it's wrong...it's not always correct with its conversions...

eg. here:
http://www.saha.ac.in/theory/palashbaran.pal/conv.html
I find [itex] 10^{-12} ~s \approx 1.52 \times 10^{12} ~GeV[/itex]

I guess the right way is to set the natural units [itex]\hbar= 6.58 \times 10^{-25} ~GeV~s=1[/itex] so from that you can calculate by yourself the relation between energy and seconds.
You get:
[itex] 10^{-12} s = \frac{1}{6.58} 10^{13} ~GeV^{-1}= 1.52 \times 10^{12}~GeV^{-1}[/itex]

Last edited:
The units then work fine, since the Branching ratio is immediately dimless...
[itex] GeV^{-4}_{G_F} \times GeV_{m_E} \times GeV^{-1}_{\tau_B} \times GeV^2_{m_\tau} \times GeV^2_{f_B} =1[/itex]

and then you have [itex]10^{-10}[/itex] from [itex]G_F^2[/itex],
[itex]10^{12}[/itex] from [itex]\tau_B[/itex],
[itex]10^{-5} \text{-} 10^{-6}[/itex] from [itex]|V_{ub}|^2[/itex]
so the orders of magnitude can work out. I don't know what values they used for the masses and the coupling constant f

Last edited:
Thanx ..

1. What is the BR of semileptonic B meson decay?

The BR (branching ratio) of semileptonic B meson decay refers to the probability that a B meson will decay into a specific final state. It is a measure of the relative frequency of a particular decay mode compared to all possible decay modes of the B meson.

2. How is the BR of semileptonic B meson decay determined?

The BR of semileptonic B meson decay is determined through experimental measurements using data from particle accelerators. Scientists study the decay products of B mesons, such as electrons or muons, and compare their frequencies to those predicted by theoretical models.

3. What is the significance of the BR of semileptonic B meson decay?

The BR of semileptonic B meson decay is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of B mesons, which are fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It also helps to test the predictions of the theory and provides insight into the fundamental interactions between particles.

4. How does the BR of semileptonic B meson decay vary among different B meson types?

The BR of semileptonic B meson decay can vary among different types of B mesons, such as B0 or B+ mesons. This is because each type of B meson has different possible decay modes, and the relative frequencies of these decay modes can vary depending on the type of B meson.

5. Can the BR of semileptonic B meson decay change over time?

Yes, the BR of semileptonic B meson decay can change over time as scientists gather more data and refine their measurements. Additionally, the BR can also be affected by factors such as the energy of the particle accelerator or the environment in which the B mesons are produced.