Brakes, static equilibrium problem is my Free Body Diagram correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of minimal force P of the brakes in stopping a wheel. The solution is P=34.3 [N] and the relevant equations and diagrams are shown. The importance of drawing a good free body diagram is emphasized, and the relevance of distance "a" in taking moments is explained. The conversation concludes with the realization of a missing force in the free body diagram and the successful completion of the problem.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate minimal force P of the brakes during the stopping of the wheel.

[PLAIN]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6017/problemzy.jpg

Solution is P=34.3 [N]

Homework Equations

(Written on scan above)

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5720/problemtry.jpg

My great confusion is what is the purpose of the radius and what is the purpose of distance a? Are my equations and diagram even correct? I'm not getting the written result...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dory! :smile:
Dory said:
...is my Free Body Diagram correct?

hmm … this is a very good example why it is very important to draw a good free body diagram …

in this case you must draw two diagrams … one for the lever, and one for the wheel

the relevance of the distance "a" is that when you take moments about the usual point for the lever, the friction force (unusally) will not have zero moment :wink:

start again :smile:

Ah...got it... So I completely forgot the force Fb in my FBD! That's why I need that 0.05! Thanks :D

There it is...just for the record

Attachments

• 4-5 solutionat600.jpg
    4-5 solutionat600.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 437
Dory said:
There it is...just for the record

Mazeltov! :biggrin:

1. What is a Free Body Diagram (FBD)?

A Free Body Diagram is a visual representation of all the external forces acting on an object. It helps to analyze the forces and determine the equilibrium or motion of the object.

2. How do I know if my Free Body Diagram is correct?

A correct FBD will show all the external forces acting on the object, including their magnitude, direction, and point of application. It should also follow Newton's laws of motion.

3. Can I use a Free Body Diagram for any object?

Yes, a Free Body Diagram can be used for any object, as long as it is in a static equilibrium or has a constant velocity. It is a useful tool in analyzing the forces acting on an object in different situations.

4. Are there any common mistakes when drawing a Free Body Diagram?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to include all the forces, not labeling the forces correctly, and not considering the direction of the forces. It is important to double-check your FBD to ensure it accurately represents the forces acting on the object.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Free Body Diagrams?

Practice makes perfect! The more you work with Free Body Diagrams, the better you will become at analyzing forces and determining equilibrium. Additionally, studying and understanding Newton's laws of motion will also help in creating accurate FBDs.