Equilibrium of a Collar and Pulley System with Spring - Free Body Diagram

In summary: Fspring would be a better name than THC, T is usually reserved for tensions.In summary, the tension in the string is -5W and the reaction force between the collar and the pulley is -3.1 j.
Alison A.

Homework Statement

A collar with a pulley slides on a frictionless vertical bar GH. A string A B C D is wrapped around, where portion AB of the string is horizontal. A spring with 2.5 lb/in. stiffness is placed between the collar and point H. The spring has 7 in. unstreched length and 5 in. final length. The collar and pulley have a combined weight of 3.1 lb, and the weights of all other components are negligible. Determine the value of P required for equilibrium, and the magnitude of the reaction between the collar bar GH.

Picture:
http://imgur.com/nHj2rrB

Hint given:
Before taking any other action, draw a FBD of the collar/pulley. This requires a closed external surface passing though the string at two locations as well as between the contact point between the spring and collar/pulley, and internal surface passing through the interface with the smooth bar. Pay close attention to the direction of the force exerted on the collar/pulley by the spring given the information in the problem statement.

Homework Equations

ΣF=0
ΣFxi+ΣFyj=0,
ΣFx=0, and ΣFy=0.
Spring Law: Fs=kδ=k(L-L0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my (attempted) FBD: http://imgur.com/YdaoEEW

I know it's probably incorrect, we never really did an example in class that involved springs. Also I wasn't sure what should have been in the middle B or C? B and C? Only B? Only C? Two body diagrams?

I know I need to add up all the x and y components then for P figure out the force it takes to make the x components equal 0. Then from there finding the magnitude of HG is just a matter of adding together their components and taking the magnitude.

I seem to have a really hard time figuring out the components, but when I find them I can pretty easily finish the problem.

Thank you so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alison A. said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my (attempted) FBD: http://imgur.com/YdaoEEW

I know it's probably incorrect, we never really did an example in class that involved springs. Also I wasn't sure what should have been in the middle B or C? B and C? Only B? Only C? Two body diagrams?

I know I need to add up all the x and y components then for P figure out the force it takes to make the x components equal 0. Then from there finding the magnitude of HG is just a matter of adding together their components and taking the magnitude.
Having B&C in the middle as you've done is fine. You don't know the radius of the pulley anyway, not that it matters in this case.

Your diagram is not quite right. Which direction does the spring force act on the collar? Your diagram shows it pulling up on the collar (assuming H is the springs force).
It's also missing the reaction force from the bar HG.

You need to balance the y forces to find P, not the x. The reaction force of the bar HG will balance the x forces for whatever P ends up being.

billy_joule said:
Having B&C in the middle as you've done is fine. You don't know the radius of the pulley anyway, not that it matters in this case.

Your diagram is not quite right. Which direction does the spring force act on the collar? Your diagram shows it pulling up on the collar (assuming H is the springs force).
It's also missing the reaction force from the bar HG.

You need to balance the y forces to find P, not the x. The reaction force of the bar HG will balance the x forces for whatever P ends up being.

Does this look a little better?
http://imgur.com/dNw09kG

I'm not sure what you meant from the reaction force of bar HG

That's right.
You can go ahead and balance the Y forces now.

billy_joule said:
That's right.
You can go ahead and balance the Y forces now.

Alright so I don't get why the force of the spring would be negative
FHC=(2.5)lb/in(5-7) which equals -5

W = 0 i + -3.1 j
TCD = TCD(4/5) i+TCD(3/5) j
TAB = ? i + 0 j
THC = 0 i + (2.5)(5-7) = -5 j

These don't seem right :/

That is almost correct.
Double check the x and y components of TCD.
What can you say about tension in a string? That is, what relationship do TCD and TAB (and also P) have?
Fspring would be a better name than THC, T is usually reserved for tensions.
Alison A. said:
Alright so I don't get why the force of the spring would be negative
FHC=(2.5)lb/in(5-7) which equals -5
It's just how Hookes law is defined. In this case it just so happens that for your choice of axes the negative spring force is correct. if the spring was compressed under, rather than above the collar the force would be positive. It's up to you to recognise what sign is appropriate.

From wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Consider a simple helical spring that has one end attached to some fixed object, while the free end is being pulled by a force whose magnitude is [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/0/0/800618943025315f869e4e1f09471012.png. Suppose that the spring has reached a state of equilibrium, where its length is not changing anymore. Let
02129bb861061d1a052c592e2dc6b383.png
be the amount by which the free end of the spring was displaced from its "relaxed" position (when it is not being stretched). Hooke's law states that

c2c4a7f57947a786b00bba66d08b109d.png

or, equivalently,

f21d28ad1acbca64d0514c13a9dc963e.png

where
8ce4b16b22b58894aa86c421e8759df3.png
is a positive real number, characteristic of the spring. Moreover, the same formula holds when the spring is compressed, with
800618943025315f869e4e1f09471012.png
and
both negative in that case.
According to this formula, the graph of the applied force
800618943025315f869e4e1f09471012.png
as a function of the displacement
will be a straight line passing through the origin, whose slope is [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/c/e/8ce4b16b22b58894aa86c421e8759df3.png.

Last edited by a moderator:
billy_joule said:
That is almost correct.
Double check the x and y components of TCD.

I get really confused on this whole triangle thing, could you help me out here?

billy_joule said:
What can you say about tension in a string? That is, what relationship do TCD and TAB (and also P) have?

They are the only vectors that have x-components?

billy_joule said:
Fspring would be a better name than THC, T is usually reserved for tensions.
It's just how Hookes law is defined. In this case it just so happens that for your choice of axes the negative spring force is correct. if the spring was compressed under, rather than above the collar the force would be positive. It's up to you to recognise what sign is appropriate.

From wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Alright this makes sense.

Alison A. said:
I get really confused on this whole triangle thing, could you help me out here?

TCD is closer to vertical than horizontal, so should the magnitude of the x or the y component be greater?

(hint: swap the 3 and the 4 in your expression: TCD = TCD(4/5) i+TCD(3/5) j )

They are the only vectors that have x-components?
Nope, the reaction force between the bar GH and the collar also has (only) an x component.
Tension is equal throughout the string so TCD = TAB =P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_(physics)
Tension in a string is a non-negative scalar. Zero tension is slack. A string or rope is often idealized as one dimension, having length but being massless with zero cross section. If there are no bends in the string (as occur with vibrations or pulleys), then tension is a constant along the string, equal to the magnitude of the forces applied by the ends of the string. By Newton's Third Law, these are the same forces exerted on the ends of the string by the objects to which the ends are attached. If the string curves around one or more pulleys, it will still have constant tension along its length in the idealized situation that the pulleys are massless and frictionless

billy_joule said:
TCD is closer to vertical than horizontal, so should the magnitude of the x or the y component be greater?

(hint: swap the 3 and the 4 in your expression: TCD = TCD(4/5) i+TCD(3/5) j )

TCD= TCD (3/5) i + TCD (4/5) j
billy_joule said:
Nope, the reaction force between the bar GH and the collar also has (only) an x component.
Tension is equal throughout the string so TCD = TAB =P

So if I find TCD this equals P? How does this play in with the finding the magnitude of the reaction between collar and bar GH?

Last edited:
Alison A. said:
TCD= TCD (3/5) i + TCD (4/5) j
Correct.

So if I find TCD this equals P? How does this play in with the finding the magnitude of the reaction between collar and bar GH?
Yes.
In your FBD you have three forces in the x direction, they must sum to zero as the collar isn't accelerating. Once you have TCD you can resolve the two known forces (TCD, X and TAB ) in the x direction to find the one unknown: FGH reaction.

billy_joule said:
Correct.Yes.
In your FBD you have three forces in the x direction, they must sum to zero as the collar isn't accelerating. Once you have TCD you can resolve the two known forces (TCD, X and TAB ) in the x direction to find the one unknown: FGH reaction.

So to go about finding TCD... Should I equal all the y-components together then solve for TCD? Then plug that back into get the components? Then take the magnitude?

Alison A. said:
So to go about finding TCD... Should I equal all the y-components together then solve for TCD? Then plug that back into get the components? Then take the magnitude?

Yes. That's the general approach. Good luck.

billy_joule said:
Yes. That's the general approach. Good luck.
I'm going to assume Tspring is negative because it doesn't make sense any other way.
ΣFY=-3.1 + TCD (4/5) + 0 - 5
This results in TCD being 10.125...

Plugging into (3/5)(10.125)i +(4/5)(10.125)j = (6.075, 8.1)
The magnitude of this is 10.13lb... which is right

ΣFX= 0 + 6.075 + x + 0
x = -6.075... but the x coordinate of TAB is not in the negative direction

This is so frustrating

Last edited:
Alison A. said:
I'm going to assume Tspring is negative because it doesn't make sense any other way.
ΣFY=-3.1 + TCD (4/5) + 0 - 5
This results in TCD being 10.125...

Plugging into (3/5)(10.125)i +(4/5)(10.125)j = (10.125, 8.1)
The magnitude of this is 11.81lb... which isn't right

(3/5)(10.125)i ≠ 10.125i

But you had already found the magnitude of TCD , it's 10.125 lb so that step was unnecessary.
you will need to find (3/5)(10.125)i though, to find the shaft reaction force.

billy_joule said:
(3/5)(10.125)i ≠ 10.125i

But you had already found the magnitude of TCD , it's 10.125 lb so that step was unnecessary.
you will need to find (3/5)(10.125)i though, to find the shaft reaction force.

I editted my post, my bad, apparently I can't mutiply

Alison A. said:
Plugging into (3/5)(10.125)i +(4/5)(10.125)j = (6.075, 8.1)
The magnitude of this is 10.13lb... which is right

ΣFX= 0 + 6.075 + x + 0
x = -6.075... but the x coordinate of TAB is not in the negative direction

This is so frustrating

I guess what I'm not getting is exactly what the GH reaction is?

Alison A. said:
I guess what I'm not getting is exactly what the GH reaction is?

TCD, X and T AB are both pulling the collar to the right. But we know the collar doesn't move to the right because we are told it is in equilibrium.
So what is stopping the collar moving to the right?

This is a described by Newtons third law 'For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction'.
For whatever TCD, X and T AB are the bar will applies and equal and opposite force to the collar.

Just like when you push against a brick wall with your hand, no matter how hard you push, the wall won't move, it just pushes back at you with an equal and opposite force.

billy_joule said:
TCD, X and T AB are both pulling the collar to the right. But we know the collar doesn't move to the right because we are told it is in equilibrium.
So what is stopping the collar moving to the right?

This is a described by Newtons third law 'For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction'.
For whatever TCD, X and T AB are the bar will applies and equal and opposite force to the collar.

Just like when you push against a brick wall with your hand, no matter how hard you push, the wall won't move, it just pushes back at you with an equal and opposite force.

Didn't I just find TCD, X? 6.075?

Alison A. said:
Didn't I just find TCD, X? 6.075?
That's right.
So use your FBD and the fact that ∑Fx = 0 to find FGH reaction

billy_joule said:
That's right.
So use your FBD and the fact that ∑Fx = 0 to find FGH reaction

This is what I was having trouble with before... ∑Fx = 0 + 6.075 + TAB, X + 0...
So TAB, X = -6.075 but that doesn't make sense

Alison A. said:
This is what I was having trouble with before... ∑Fx = 0 + 6.075 + TAB, X + 0...
So TAB, X = -6.075 but that doesn't make sense

You already know the value of TAB from post #9
Your, second (and correct) FBD has three forces in the x direction but your sum of x forces quoted has only two?

billy_joule said:
You already know the value of TAB from post #9
Your, second (and correct) FBD has three forces in the x direction but your sum of x forces quoted has only two?

Since TAB = P then it must be 10.13lb. I'm assuming the "reaction" is also the same the normal force of TAB?

So ΣFx = 6.075 + 10.13 - x (x being the x component of the normal vector which is what we are trying to find I think)

Alison A. said:
Since TAB = P then it must be 10.13lb. I'm assuming the "reaction" is also the same the normal force of TAB?

So ΣFx = 6.075 + 10.13 - x (x being the x component of the normal vector which is what we are trying to find I think)

Yes, a normal force is a type of reaction force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_force

F GH bar reaction has only an x component as your second FBD shows and the problem statement implied when it stated the bar was frictionless.

billy_joule said:
Yes, a normal force is a type of reaction force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_force

F GH bar reaction has only an x component as your second FBD shows and the problem statement implied when it stated the bar was frictionless.

So all I had to do was add them together... ugh, so easy.

Thank you so much for helping me and especially being patient with me!

Alison A. said:
So all I had to do was add them together... ugh, so easy.
Yep, sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

Thank you so much for helping me and especially being patient with me!

You're welcome. Good work, your perseverance will get you far :smile:

1. What is a collar and pulley system with spring?

A collar and pulley system with spring is a mechanical system used to lift or lower objects with the help of a pulley and a spring. The collar is attached to the object being lifted, while the pulley and spring are fixed to a support. The spring provides tension to the system, making it easier to lift the object.

2. How does the equilibrium of a collar and pulley system with spring work?

The equilibrium of a collar and pulley system with spring is achieved when the forces acting on the system are balanced. This means that the upward force from the spring must be equal to the weight of the object being lifted and the tension in the rope. This results in a state of zero acceleration, where the system is not moving up or down.

3. What is the purpose of a free body diagram in this system?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. In the case of a collar and pulley system with spring, a free body diagram helps to identify and analyze the forces acting on the system, such as the weight of the object, the tension in the rope, and the force from the spring. This information is crucial in determining the equilibrium of the system.

4. How does the spring affect the equilibrium of the system?

The spring plays a crucial role in maintaining the equilibrium of the collar and pulley system. The tension in the spring provides an upward force that balances the weight of the object being lifted. As the object moves up or down, the tension in the spring adjusts accordingly, ensuring that the system remains in equilibrium.

5. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a collar and pulley system with spring?

Several factors can affect the equilibrium of a collar and pulley system with spring. These include the weight of the object being lifted, the stiffness of the spring, the angle of the rope, and any external forces acting on the system. Changes in any of these factors can disrupt the equilibrium and cause the system to move up or down.