Braking speed and distance traveled

In summary, when braking, the acceleration of a car has a magnitude of 2.2 m/s3. If the car has an initial speed of 60 m/s, it will travel 295.4 meters before it stops.
emily081715

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particular car during braking has magnitude bt, where t is the time in seconds from the instant the car begins braking, and b = 2.2 m/s3 .If the car has an initial speed of 60 m/s , how far does it travel before it stops?

Homework Equations

: [/B]
I know that basic kinematic equations will not work for this equation because acceleration is not constant. Therefore the equations have to be integrated from the given equation of acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
when i integrated i got the equations:
a=2.2t

v= 2.2/2 t^2 +60

x= 2.2/6 t^3 +60t

I'm trying to figure out how to isolate for t in order to solve for distance, but when i set the equation for distance equal to zero i ended up getting the wrong answer while solving for t. if someone can point me in the right direction on how to solve for t, i know how to finish the problem solving for distance. i just am unsure about how to get time

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Emily081715 and welcome to PF

:welcome:

Your expression for v says that v increases with time. Is that what happens to a car that is braking?
Also, x is not zero when the car stops. What is zero when that happens?

kuruman said:
You expression for v says that v increases with time. Is that what happens to a car that is braking?
should my equations say -60? If that was the case shouldn't my acceleration be negative as well since its braking and slowing down?
Also, if x isn't zero when the car stops, is the final velocity zero ? that would mean i need to set that equation equal to zero to solve for time

When t is equal to zero, v = 60 m/s as it should. When t is greater that zero, v starts to decrease. Where should the negative sign go?

kuruman said:
When t is equal to zero, v = 60 m/s as it should. When t is greater that zero, v starts to decrease. Where should the negative sign go?
the negative sign goes infront of the 60. making the equation v= 2.2/2t^2- 60t

But now when you set t = 0 in your expression, you get zero, not 60 m/s.

kuruman said:
But now when you set t = 0 in your expression, you get zero, not 60 m/s.
should it then be infront of 2.2

The magnitude of acceleration is positive even when the car is slowing down. The plus and minus sign give you the directional sense of the quantity. If we say the sense of the car's velocity is positive then the sense of the acceleration would be negative.

emily081715 said:
should it then be infront of 2.2
Yes. Leave the 60 as you had it. Now can you find the time of travel? It is the same as the time it takes the car to stop.

David Lewis said:
The magnitude of acceleration is positive even when the car is slowing down. The plus and minus sign give you the directional sense of the quantity. If we say the sense of the car's velocity is positive then the sense of the acceleration would be negative.
That's another of saying that (in 1-dimension), when the velocity and the acceleration have the same sign, the speed is increasing; when they have opposite signs, the speed is decreasing.

Likes David Lewis
kuruman said:
That's another of saying that (in 1-dimension), when the velocity and the acceleration have the same sign, the speed is increasing; when they have opposite signs, the speed is decreasing.
Okay so i changed the sign of acceleration and used the equation v=-2.2/2 t^2 +60 to solve for t. i got (10 √66)/11 for time. when plugging that answer in for distance i got 295.4 meters. does this answer seem correct?

It is correct.

kuruman said:
It is correct.
thanks for the help

1. What is braking speed?

Braking speed is the speed at which an object or vehicle is traveling when the brakes are applied.

2. How is braking speed calculated?

Braking speed can be calculated using the equation: Vf = Vi + 2ad, where Vf is the final speed, Vi is the initial speed, a is the deceleration rate, and d is the distance traveled.

3. What factors affect braking speed?

The factors that affect braking speed include the initial speed of the object, the deceleration rate, the condition of the brakes, and the weight and size of the object.

4. What is the relationship between braking speed and braking distance?

The braking distance is directly proportional to the braking speed. This means that the higher the braking speed, the longer the braking distance will be.

5. How can braking speed and distance be reduced?

Braking speed and distance can be reduced by maintaining a safe speed while driving, ensuring proper maintenance of brakes, and following proper braking techniques such as gradual and steady braking rather than sudden and harsh braking.