Branching ratio of particle question

In summary, the J/Ψ particle has a mass of 3097 MeV and a width of 87 keV, with equal branching ratios of 6% to e+e- and µ+µ- final states. If it were to decay only electromagnetically, we would expect a 50/50 ratio of e+e- and µ+µ- final states. This indicates that the strong interaction dominates in the decay of the J/Ψ particle, with a much shorter average lifetime compared to electromagnetic interactions.
RyanTG

Homework Statement

The J/Ψ has mass 3097 MeV, width 87 keV and equal branching ratios of 6%
to e+e− and µ+µ− final states. What would you expect for these branching
ratios if the J/Ψ decayed only electromagnetically? What does this tell you
about the “strength” of the strong interaction in this decay?

Homework Equations

Branching function = Width/Sum of all Widths

Don't know whether this will be useful or not but:

Lifetime of u = 2.2*10-6
Mass of u = 106MeV/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what to do, I don't understand branching functions that well and I'm not even sure if the question requires me to calculate anything, I'm confused.

I know that strong forces dominate and that the average lifetime for strong interactions is ~10-24seconds whilst EM ~ 10-18.

This isn't homework really, this is just revision for an examination I have tomorrow. If somebody could just explain this briefly, that would help immensely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure (hopefully someone else jumps in if I am wrong), but if hadrons are excluded, then only 50/50 e+e- / mu+/mu- remains, isn't it ?

Get some rest, much better than last-minute worries for an examination :approve:!

12% leptons vs 88% hadrons is already very high because hadronic decay is heavily suppressed. See wikipedia and https://pdg.web.cern.ch/pdg/2012/listings/rpp2012-list-J-psi-1S.pdf and this link which illustrates this OZI suppression.

Related to Branching ratio of particle question

What is the branching ratio of a particle?

The branching ratio of a particle is the probability that a particle will decay into a specific set of particles. It is a measure of how often a particular decay channel occurs compared to all possible decay channels.

How is the branching ratio of a particle determined?

The branching ratio of a particle is determined through experimental measurements. Scientists use particle accelerators to create and study particles, and by analyzing the decay products and their frequencies, they can determine the branching ratio of a particle.

Why is the branching ratio of a particle important?

The branching ratio of a particle is important because it provides information about the fundamental interactions and forces that govern the behavior of particles. It also helps us understand the stability and lifetime of a particle.

Can the branching ratio of a particle change?

Yes, the branching ratio of a particle can change depending on the energy and conditions of the particle. For example, a particle may have different branching ratios at different energy levels, or the branching ratio may change if it interacts with other particles.

How is the branching ratio of a particle used in particle physics research?

The branching ratio of a particle is an important parameter that is used in theoretical models and calculations in particle physics research. It helps scientists understand the behavior of particles and their interactions, and can also provide insights into new physics beyond our current understanding.