Bravais lattices in 2 dimensions (and 3 dimensions)

In summary: For rotational and mirror symmetries, the above is automatically satisfied. So you only need to show that for other symmetries, C(G) is a lattice vector.For any other symmetry, you can imagine a transformation that leaves G unchanged but transforms one of the elements of C(G) into a lattice vector. For example, if C(G) is a 3x3 matrix, then the transformation could be written asC(G) = (c1' c2' c3' c4')where the last two vectors are the same as the original C(G), but the first two are rotated by the appropriate angle.
loginorsinup
I'm reading M. Omar Ali's Elementary Solid State Physics and in it, in Subsection 1.4 The Fourteen Bravais Lattices and the Seven Crystal Systems he says that "..., but one cannot place many such pentagons side by side so that they fit tightly and cover the whole area. In fact, it can be demonstrated that the requirement of translation symmetry in two dimensions restricts the number of possible lattices to only five (see the problem section at the end of this chapter)."

However, the problem section does not explain it either.

So, in simple terms, a Bravais lattice is just a mathematical way to describe all solid single-crystal structures. It is an idealization that depends on being able to describe every point in terms of appropriately scaled (by integers!) basis vectors. In 2D, there should be just two vectors because two noncolinear basis vectors are all that is needed to span two dimensions. The fact that there must be translational symmetry given by integer multiples of the basis vectors greatly reduces the total number of possible 2D Bravais lattices.

But, how do you get 5? And in 3D, how do you get 14? I think starting with 2D for now makes more sense as I can't quickly sketch a rough proof in my head.

Thanks, as always, for the help.

You start with the most general case, for 2D the angle is something odd (neither 90 nor 120 deg) and the two lattice parameters are different.

Such a lattice has no special symmetry.

Then you check what happens when you introduce rotational and mirror symmetries. What constraints do you impose on the lattice parameters?

Likes loginorsinup
I think I don't know how to impose those constraints in a way.

I'll try my best to interpret it.

So, you have two lattice basis vectors ##a_1## and ##a_2## with an angle ##\theta## between the two.

Constraint 1: Rotational symmetry. Meaning if the entire crystal is rotated by an angle ##\theta = 360^{\circ}/n## around an axis perpendicular to a lattice point in 2D, the same translational symmetry that existed before to get to any other point in the crystal remains i.e. given a
transformation for each lattice point (need help with this part, sadly), the following is maintained.

\begin{align*}\vec{r} &= c_1\vec{a_1} + c_2\vec{a_2}\end{align*}

Constraint 2: Mirror symmetry. Meaning if the entire crystal is inverted through a line of mirror symmetry, the same translational symmetry that existed before to any other point in the crystal remains i.e. given a transformation for each lattice point (need help with this part, sadly), the following is maintained.

\begin{align*}\vec{r} &= c_1\vec{a_1} + c_2\vec{a_2}\end{align*}

But, I'm not sure firstly how to translate the constraints into transformations acting on some basis vectors. Second, while I can see how that would cull the set of valid lattices, I'm not sure how exactly that process happens mathematically.

Thanks for giving me something to work with though. It is valued and appreciated.

In general, the condition is that if you have a lattice vector G and a transformation C, then C(G) must be again a lattice vector (the same or a different one).

For the 2D case you can write G in cartesian coordinates, and C as a 2x2 matrix. In the 3D case C can be written as 3x3 matrix.

Since G = c1 a1 + c2 a2, it is sufficient to show that C(a1) and C(a2) are lattice vectors, i.e.

C . a1 = c1' a1 + c2' a2
C . a2 = c1'' a1 + c2'' a2

Likes loginorsinup

What are Bravais lattices in 2 dimensions and 3 dimensions?

Bravais lattices are a set of 14 unique 3-dimensional and 5 unique 2-dimensional arrangements of points in space that describe the periodic structure of a crystal. They are used to categorize and describe the symmetry of crystals.

What is the difference between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional Bravais lattices?

The main difference between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional Bravais lattices is the number of dimensions in which the points are arranged. 3-dimensional Bravais lattices have 3 axes of symmetry, while 2-dimensional Bravais lattices only have 2 axes of symmetry.

How are Bravais lattices named?

Bravais lattices are named after the French mathematician and crystallographer Auguste Bravais, who first described them in the 19th century. Each lattice is assigned a letter based on its symmetry and a number based on the number of lattice points within a unit cell.

What are the characteristics of a Bravais lattice?

Bravais lattices have the following characteristics: 1) they are infinite, repeating structures, 2) all lattice points are identical, 3) they have translational symmetry, meaning they can be translated in any direction and the lattice will look the same, and 4) they have rotational symmetry, meaning they can be rotated around a point and the lattice will look the same.

How are Bravais lattices used in crystallography?

Bravais lattices are used to classify and describe the symmetry of crystals. By determining the type of Bravais lattice a crystal belongs to, scientists can understand its physical and chemical properties, as well as predict its behavior under different conditions.